Word 2008 crashes

Reaction score
I am going crazy with Word 2008 crashes; all the time, apropos of nothing. The first crash will restart with recovered documents; after that, no recovered documents. I just installed a few days ago; did NOT have Word 2004; Using the most recent Mac OS as I just bought my MacBook; tried to download Word updates, says can't install. Also says I don't need any updates. HELP!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you by chance installed and used "Monolingual" or any other utility which removes languages from OS X? If you don't know what "Monolingual" is and haven't used a language removal utility, ignore this. However, if you did, see the paragraph below and uninstall - reinstall Word or Office.

If Word 2008 is crashing for no apparent reason and you can not install updates (current version is 12.1.5) I suggest you uninstall Word or Office 2008 whichever applies, and reinstall it. Be sure to use the Office or Word 2008 uninstaller. Do not drag the files to the trash.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi. No, I haven't installed anything or changed anything in Word. I also checked and I have all the updates.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK. I'm assuming from the first post that your MacBook is a new model. I don't think the crashes have anything to do with hardware at this point so my suggestion to you regarding an uninstall - reinstall still stands. Remember, if you uninstall and reinstall, you'll need to download and install updates once again.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.