white macbook: Hard Drive Icon during startup?

Reaction score
I have a brand new white Macbook. been turned on about 6 times.

Last night, I turned it on, and the icon for the hard drive shows up in the middle of the screen, with an arrow pointing to it. i clicked the arrow, and everything resumes as normal.

i restart it once, same procedure. i restart it a third time, icon goes away for good.

what happened in that brief glimpse of time?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Open the Finder and select preferences. Make sure you have Hard disks checked under "Show these items on the Desktop". That option appears under the General tab.

Regards.

OP
E
Reaction score
Open the Finder and select preferences. Make sure you have Hard disks checked under "Show these items on the Desktop". That option appears under the General tab.

Regards.

thank you for the quick reply, but i am talking about the startup procedure, before you reach the desktop. this person had the same problem:

Macintosh HD Icon at Startup? - Mac Forums

it happened again today. leopard refuses to start up unless i first click a big, hard drive icon that appears in the middle of the screen.

this is my very first mac, so i have no idea if it's normal or not.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK. I understand now - your first post wasn't clear. Open System Preferences, Startup Disk. Select the Macintosh HD as the startup disk.

Regards.

Reaction score
I too am wondering if this is a problem. I have a 3-year old MacBook Pro and just recently, it seems to be slowing down a little. Maybe 1 in 5 times I start it up, I get a gray screen with a BIG hard drive icon in the middle and an arrow under it. I have to click this arrow to proceed and all is well. But why is it suddenly doing this? Is it a sign that something is going to fail?

Forgot to mention... two months of warranty left. I think I'll be heading to the genius bar.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just follow chscag's advice given in post # 4.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.