How to open a .wmv file?

H

Horatio Street

It's just one thing after another with this system for me!

I dowloaded a .wmv file. I expected it to open automatically but it didn't. I got a message asking me what application I wanted to use to open it.

How do I open it and how do I make it so that I don't have to jump through so many hoops in the future with other .wmv downloads?

Thanks y'all.
:dummy:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
go to versiontracker.com and download windows media player for os x, or get another player that plays wmv, like mplayer or vlc.

OP
K

kabwon

windows media player mac os x, get it from visiontracker or alternatively from the microsoft site, just do a search for it in google.

where can i find decent codecs?? and why does media player not play *.avi??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mplayer plays avi files really good. avi is not the same as wmv, in no way, shape, or form.
what sort of codecs are you looking for?

OP
K

kabwon

i downloaded windows media player from the msn site and it doesnt want to play .avi ?? i want all the codecs i need to watch divX movies on my mac. i can watch them on quicktime now but quicktime doesnt have a full screen option, which is really annoying, vlc dont work either.

any help would be greatly appreciated

OP
K

kabwon

mmmmm, i actually figured it out now, media player still doesnt play it but VLC does :p YAY

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
kabwon said:
i downloaded windows media player from the msn site and it doesnt want to play .avi ?? i want all the codecs i need to watch divX movies on my mac. i can watch them on quicktime now but quicktime doesnt have a full screen option, which is really annoying, vlc dont work either.

any help would be greatly appreciated
qt has a fullscreen option, and there are codecs to play avi in qt, but avi sux, its biggest flaws include, but arent limited to misaligned A and V tracks, choppy video, etc. I recommend you use mplayer to watch avi's, like vlc, only far superior. or convert the avi's into movs using divx dr. 2 and watch those in qt.

OP
K

kabwon

i cant for the life of me find the shortcut key for qt's fullscreen option

OP
Z

Zeb

The big problem with AVI files is that it's a generic label for a video file.

Video files stored with an AVI extension can have a separate codec for audio and video and each of those can be a whole range of things.

For example, a video encoded with DivX will be stored as AVI and the audio could be encoded with a completely different audio codec like MP3 or AC3.

On my PC, I use a handy little program called GSpot which tells me which codecs an AVI file requires and if they're installed on my computer. If such a program exists for the Mac I've yet to find it. If you can find the four character codec identifier string (aka. 4CC) then just search the net for it using that.

http://img200.exs.cx/img200/9365/gspot8hc.gif]Sample
(Sample GSpot image, hosted on Imageshack)
Audio: MP3
Video: DivX
4CC: DIV3

I hope this is of help ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea, avi is just a wrapper, not even its own format. I think the shortcut in qt for full screen is command+F.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.