monitor/keyboard USB issue

Reaction score
I've noticed that not all devices I plug into the USB connectors on my monitor or keyboard seem to function. These devices do, however, function just fine when plugged into the G5 itself. The devices I've had issue with are a flash drive, printer, and external hard drive. Is there a problem with my equipment, or is this normal?

M

MickMAC

I think it is normal, some of those devices may need more power then the usb ports on the keyboard and monitor have to offer.

My digi cam does the same thing!

B

Badger

The USB sockets on the keyboard & monitor are really just a type of USB hub. As MickMac wrote it is just that these sockets have a low power level. Most people end up with an external USB hub when they have several devices to deal with. It saves wear and tear on the USB sockets and is generally more convenient. If you go for one make sure that it has its own power supply, otherwise you'll have the same problem that you see now.

OP
C
Reaction score
I should have known that, but for whatever reason, it didn't click. Thanks for jarring my memory guys. Off to the store now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.