Clicking Sound

Reaction score
My MacBook makes kind of a clicking sound sometimes, not very loud but audible. It does this every now and then, even when the computer is idle. Also, there is a grinding/clicking sound when things are loading (like when I start up my computer). I ran Disk Utility and it said everything checked out OK. I thought this clicking sound was troubling considering Macs are supposed to run silent, am I in trouble or is everything OK as Disk Utility said? Ideas?

Reaction score
Same Problem

I have the exact same problem with the clicking and the disk drive! I read somewhere that the computer might be dying, but I'm not sure... :(

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
A clicking hard drive is usually a pretty good indication that the hard drive is getting close to the end of its life. I would advise that you backup your important data soon if it is indeed the hard drive making a clicking noise.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.