Airport Extreme wired to Time Capsule?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
After the hard disk on my wifes MacBook having failed fatally last week (yes, we had a two-week old SuperDuper backup, but it is annoying in any case) I am now considering to get a Time Capsule.

I already have an Airport Extreme (a couple of years old). Would it be straightforward to just wire the Airport to the Time Capsule (Time Capsule out LAN, Airport in where modem goes in today) and use ot for setting up two wireless networks (one being g and the other n)? Will Airport Utility pick up both? Any issues with the built-in Firewall? Anything else to consider? Will it work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
the new time capsule has a built in A/B/G/N router, you can use the older Extreme as a bridge or expander, for the network. Airport Utility will need to be upgraded, the new software comes with the device, then it will download a few more updates.

you wont have any issues

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.