Need buying advice

D

Duch

I currently own an aluminum macbook, base model. So far it has treated me well, but a friend is interested in my macbook and has offered to buy it. I was thinking of selling it to him, and buying a refurbished model.
I use Toast to burn movies, as well as sync audio and video with simplemovieX. Probably about 4-5 movies per week. I would like a larger hard drive than my 160gig, but not sure if the extra cost is worth it.
The 2 macbooks I am looking at are the 2.4 gig macbook, as well as the macbook pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Aluminum 2.0 GHz, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM
Keep your computer.

If it works well doing what you need it to do, why take the loss is selling it to just buy a new one to do the same thing. Keep your eye out for sales on an external (or even internal HD) and snatch one up to use to expand your storage space. I got a simpletech 160 GB external for $25 at Office Depot 3 weeks ago.

The new MacBooks are real slick and you are just making your life more difficult if this computer works well for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (Aluminum) 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Exactly what Futch said; if it's already doing what you need it to do, don't go through the unnecessary complication/risk of buying a new/refurbished machine.

OP
D

Duch

The only reason I was thinking of upgrading was the price he would give me (to save from taxes) would make the macbook pro a 400 dollar difference. I already have a 500 gig external, but am wondering if the macbook pro would be better for what I need. The Macbook fits my needs as I upgraded from a super old HP. I do not know if the macbook pro is a wise upgrade and I would notice the difference.
If I do not buy the MBP I will be getting a larger internal drive, and probably 4 gigs of ram. But would those upgrades help as much as a MBP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Soon to own
You could always recommend one of the refurbished Macs you were looking at to your friend.

OP
D

Duch

You could always recommend one of the refurbished Macs you were looking at to your friend.

I could do that, but he has offered me the money for my macbook. He is absolutely clueless (could not dl apps and set up the way my mac is) when it comes to technology, and he already likes how my macbook is set up. (he uses my mac to finish essays and print them off before handing them in)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
get whatever speed macbook you want, the RAM and Harddrive you can upgrade on your own cheaper then buying one and upgrading it through apple.... plus the 160gb drive is only 5400rpm. i picked up a 320gb 7200rpm drive for $90.....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.