Sony Ericsson Bluetooth headset with OS X?

D

dziner

I wanted to try out skype tonight with a friend of mine. I plugged in my headset with mic and the mic didn;t seem to be working. I could hear my friend fine, but no sound was coming from my G5. Then I remembered that I have a Sony Ericsson bluetooth headset that I use with my T637 phone. I thought it would be great if that would work as my headset since I have bluetooth on my G5. I launched my bluetooth prefs and tried to connect the device but it couldn't be found. I was wondering if anyone else has tried this or not. And if possibly my G5 has a faulty audio-in jack.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
You will not be able to use a bluetooth phone headset with a bluetooth computer.. anything else bluetooth yes, but not headsets that work with phones.. at least not at this point.. so far from talking to the companies it's a limitation, but some people are trying to work around it.. and it's not a limitation of Mac, but bluetooth and how it works in computers, from what I hear.

Now in Skype you need to tell Skype where to get the audio in and audio out.. look in preferences I think and then set your audio in and out there and you should be good to go :)

OP
D

dziner

Thanks for the info. I never realized that about bluetooth. Makes me wonder why they designed the headsets like that.

I checked my prefs in Skype and all seems fine there. There's really not a lot of options to mess with as far as audio in/out. I have built-in audio line in selected. And in my system prefs i have audio line-in port selected. Still, the wired headset mic isn't working. This is what makes me wonder if the headset is messed up or my port isn't functioning properly. I got the headset for free so that may tell me a little right there. I'll have to see if I can get a Logitech USB headset for free at work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I also discovered this recently with my dad's bt headset and my iBook.

I was also planning to get one to use with skype if it had worked, but I think it'll only be a matter of time before they get this sorted out...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well the good thing is that BluePhoneElite which currently is a really awesome program, the programmer said that he is eventually going to make it so that instead of talking through your cellphone, you'll be able to talk through the computer to the cellphone, using the computer as your bluetooth headset. Since your phone can only have one device connected to it using bluetooth, so while BluePhoneElite is connected, you can not connect your bluetooth headset to your phone. But Tiger is the only OS that can do that, Panther can not, so we have to wait for that... I can't wait! :)

OP
D

dziner

BluePhoneElite sounds kinda cool. But I'd like to use my Mac to talk to friends via Skype and not be using my mobile phone minutes. I also have the Sony Ericsson basestation which turns it into a speaker phone, and the bluetooth headset, so I don't think I would need anything like BluePhoneElite.

I did read on the Skype forums (this has nothing to do with bluetooth) that it's possible that another open app such as iChat can be handling all incoming voice data. I've tried a standard headset with both both mic and headphone jack and found that the mic didn't seem to be working. After launching my system prefs, selecting sound, and choosing audio line-in, I still heard nothing. This makes me wonder if either my mic isn't working, or that the audio line-in port is not working.

This is on a 1.6GHz G5 with OS 10.3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"Since your phone can only have one device connected to it using bluetooth,"

Actually that's wrong -- most Sony Ericsson phones can connect to more than 1 bluetooth device...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Show me how and I would like to see that.. I was told that they could not and when I try to connect it to my computer and to my handsfree set it will not work. I can connect separately, but at different times, not at the same time. I would love an example and a page that says differently, because it would be really handy :)

OP
D

dziner

I don't think the audio line-in is working on my G5. I hooked up my Logitech web cam which has a built-in mic and can see through the system prefs that it is recognising the sound. That narrows the problem down to either the mic on the headset is not working or the line-in jack is not working. **** it, I wanna use Skype tonight! And I'd hate to have this workaround for very long. The webcam sitting in front of the keyboard for the mic and a headset on my head to cancel any feedback that would occur with my Altec FX-6021s.

OP
U

umijin

Ummm... I'm a bit frustrated. A salesman here in Tokyo told me I could easily use a bluetooth headset with a bluetooth enable mac. He showed us a couple of brands that he claimed worked - one was a Sony, the other some no-name brand, and I think the third was Plantronics.

I guess I'm totally suprised this guy would BS me.

So tell me, what headsets, bluetooth or otherwise, will work with Macs? Most of the sets with audioplugs indicated they weren't compatible with Mac hardware (in Japanese) and the others I could figure out. I didn't see any USB headsets.

Thanks ahead of time.

OP
U

umijin

Perhaps Murlin, you are wrong...

I found that you CAN use bluetooth headsets with Macs, even the Sony Ericsson - according to posts on other sites. You need the newest version of Apple's Bluetooth firmware. And you need to adjust the settings for your individual hardware in the system prefs.

There is a problem using these headsets with Skype. You need to set Skypes audio input to the headset mike, but the output to your computer's system speakers. Apparently, this is a software issue (not hardware) and may be addressed by Skype in the future.

http://forum.skype.com/viewtopic.php?t=7081&sid=aadcc0adacbd1e74c939540cb147d063

http://bluetooth.weblogsinc.com/entry/3587262272760251/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm.. Actually no even what they are saying on those boards is what I said.. You can hook up the headset to the computer and you can hook up the headset to your phone, but you can not hook them up at the same time so that they are both connected.. so headset connected to phone AND computer, is not possible.

OP
M

monstermac

umijin said:
Ummm... I'm a bit frustrated. A salesman here in Tokyo told me I could easily use a bluetooth headset with a bluetooth enable mac. He showed us a couple of brands that he claimed worked - one was a Sony, the other some no-name brand, and I think the third was Plantronics.

I guess I'm totally suprised this guy would BS me.

So tell me, what headsets, bluetooth or otherwise, will work with Macs? Most of the sets with audioplugs indicated they weren't compatible with Mac hardware (in Japanese) and the others I could figure out. I didn't see any USB headsets.

Thanks ahead of time.

ok you can use a bluetooth headset with a mac. Also you can use it with Skype. Plantronics m2500. To use with skype you have to set both the system prefs in skype and also on os x to select plantronics device and input and output...

Reaction score
Murlyn said:
You will not be able to use a bluetooth phone headset with a bluetooth computer.. anything else bluetooth yes, but not headsets that work with phones.. at least not at this point.. so far from talking to the companies it's a limitation, but some people are trying to work around it.. and it's not a limitation of Mac, but bluetooth and how it works in computers, from what I hear.

Now in Skype you need to tell Skype where to get the audio in and audio out.. look in preferences I think and then set your audio in and out there and you should be good to go :)

Motorola HS820 works perfectly with skype, itunes, etc...
(I am using a powerbook g4 titanium)

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah - most of the newer bluetooth devices I've tried have also worked...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.