Truth about hardware problems

Reaction score
Hi Everyone;
I am new to Mac, coming from PC background like everyone else. Been dedicated to Vista and just fed up. I always want to make the change but been holding back .
last night i went to Best Buy to get myself some Mac and over come my fear, but then the sales person gave me a really bad feed back about the new MacBooks, saying they have tons of hardware problems. He even pointed that the 3 Macbooks they have on display in the store are actually fried.
He also pointed that heating up is a huge problem with all Mac's computers, generally even the iMac's.
So after that unexpected feedback i end up not buying it and i am seeking some clarifications here. what's the truth in that statements about heat problems and motherboards being fried.
I really want to make the switch, but i am not looking for more problems, enough with what I've had over the years from windows.
The Sales person also recommended extended warranty ($450) for 2 years.

Appreciate all the help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
I think there was definitely some misinformation there. For one, of course some of the display models are damaged—naturally, they'd use unsellable ones for display since display models tend to get damaged. Also, the motherboard issues (particularly with older iMacs) have pretty much gone away.

It's true that Macs have some hardware problems, but every manufacturer does. The biggest problem at the moment is that Apple's optical drives die a lot.

I would recommend an extended warranty for any laptop unless you're planning on getting rid of it in less than two years. Why is it $450, though? Are you in Canada or Australia where they charge more for AppleCare? Because it should only be $250 or thereabouts for a MacBook.

OP
G
Reaction score
I think there was definitely some misinformation there. For one, of course some of the display models are damaged—naturally, they'd use unsellable ones for display since display models tend to get damaged. Also, the motherboard issues (particularly with older iMacs) have pretty much gone away.

It's true that Macs have some hardware problems, but every manufacturer does. The biggest problem at the moment is that Apple's optical drives die a lot.

I would recommend an extended warranty for any laptop unless you're planning on getting rid of it in less than two years. Why is it $450, though? Are you in Canada or Australia where they charge more for AppleCare? Because it should only be $250 or thereabouts for a MacBook.

Canada, I am looking at the Apple MacBook 13.3" Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz Laptop $1399.99 and the warranty is
is $399 + Tax that's about 40% of the price, which i find a little too high for a warranty.

the Optical drive dies on all models, general problems or there are models with less problems?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sounds to me like you ran into a MS fanboy at the BestBuy.

Of all the computers I've owned since '81; my first Mac, now two years old rates in the top two systems I've ever owned. And I was no slouch as a old hardcore gamer / hardware enthusiast that built all of my own systems since '95.

Can only recommend not going to a BB to purchase a Mac.

I would also disagree that their optical drives die a lot without some statistical analysis comparing to other brands. Have not seen any more posts related to this issue here than I have at any Windows forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
It's entirely anecdotal. And besides, Apple doesn't make the optical drives anyway. They just buy them. They must have bought several bad batches because I've heard a lot of reports from all over. I'll try to list some:

AnandTech - my 2.2Ghz mbp's superdrive is worthless
Apple - Support - Discussions - Imac will not accept DVD's or CD's ...
Apple - Support - Discussions - Superdrive update 2.1 killed my drive. ...
Apple - Support - Discussions - ! Brand New Macbook not burning cds?? ...

Far as I can tell it's an issue with Matsushita slot-loading drives, which could be in MacBooks, MacBook Pros, Mac Minis, or iMacs.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To the OP:

I agree with bobtomay, you ran into an anti Mac salesman at Best Buy. Mac machines have enjoyed top ratings for years - hardware, operating system, and customer support. The latest ratings (which you can skim over in PC Mag, PC World, etc) show the Mac is still number one.

Overheating? That's pure conjecture from the salesman. All notebook computers get warm because of their enclosed design, not just the MacBook.

As for an extended warranty, you quoted the Best Buy warranty price not Apple Care. If you really want to find out if a Mac is for you, go to an Apple Store, speak with the sales folks, play with some machines, ask questions, and then decide.

I've been associated with computers for many years, everything from Big Iron to Little Iron, used them, programmed them, repaired them, etc and I can say without hesitation that Macs are of the best.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Fact 1: Apple has very low margins compared to some manufacturers, so if that salesperson works on commission, it's not necessarily in his interest for you to switch.

Fact 2: The salesperson has doubtlessly been instructed to not let a customer purchase a computer without an extended warranty.

2 reasons for him to fabricate stories about dying Macs.

Here's an interesting report:
MacDailyNews - Apple Mac tops comprehensive computer reliability report by wide margin - again

EDIT: Just to clarify: Apple itself has much higher margins than the industry. But as a 3rd party retailer you don't see much of that.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks folks for your replies, appreciate all the feedback. I know that Mac generally get top reviews and i read many and i find myself in favor of giving it a try. but recently i been running into too many products that are not what they promise to be, so this time i thought to give myself some time to read and hear what other users think and what would they recommend.

OP
G
Reaction score
Currently I have Acer laptop (core 2 Duo, 1.6GHz) and use a cooling pad with three fans under it to cool it and always runs cool. will that works for Mac as well?

A side from browsing and emailing, i use it to record HD movies (using Hauppauge HD PVR
model 1212 witch is not currently Mac compatible) and back them up to my HP media server for streaming over my network.

Since i am upgrading to Mac and will be leaving the Acer to my wife (it's her idea). So i need to choose the right Mac to get my projects going. is there a HD capture and recorder for Mac? Recommendations are welcome and appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Aluminum 2.0 GHz, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM
Since i am upgrading to Mac and will be leaving the Acer to my wife (it's her idea). So i need to choose the right Mac to get my projects going. is there a HD capture and recorder for Mac? Recommendations are welcome and appreciated.

I do not know of such a program but you can always load windows via bootcamp or virtual machine to run your programs that are native to Mac OS X. I use bootcamp to run a few programs I use that are only for Windows and it is no inconvenience to me.

OP
G
Reaction score
I live in Ottawa and I checked. There is no Apple store here, the nearest would be in Toronto (4:30 hours driving) so visiting a store or to buy from there is not very attractive, i will look for a local store instead.

on Futureshop.ca web site they advertise a new MacBook "Apple MacBook 13.3" Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz Laptop" that to be released Feb 17, 09 for $1149 Canadian. however specs say it is made of white polycarbonate shell, is this an old casing version? couldn't find any info about it on Apple web site. Every other specs is identical to the new Aluminum ones.

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi Futch;
so boot camp will allow me to install windows programs on Mac, did i get this right? or do i need to install Windows and run those applications on it. The Hauppauge HD PVR is in part hardware and not just software, so will Mac see it while connected or not?

I just read about it and i will need a Windows version to install. still very cool feature.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The leader in the field of TV tuners on the Mac side is ElGato.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The leader in the field of TV tuners on the Mac side is ElGato.
*shameless plug*

I hear this other company from Munich also makes a nice tuner...

Plus we've just released a butt-kicking iPhone app so you can remotely schedule recordings, upload them to mobileme and stream them.

Reaction score
MacBook Heat

>> He also pointed that heating up is a huge problem with all Mac's computers, generally even the iMac's.

I run my MacBook and older 15" G4 laptop ten hours a day and always on a fan cooler - my preferred coolers are in the Vantec range, and I have tried a number of different brands. All compact laptops get hot and they run better if you keep them cool.

John F

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, to steal your thread for a minute george.

That the company you work for apt? And ya'll are doing MediaCentral I see. Does it recognize and play video_ts folders.

I'm still looking for a single app that will provide a one stop centralized media database ala Delicious Library or DVDpedia style, but also one click play from there to include video_ts folders. (Even if I have to manually add movies and then create the association to the folder.)

(edit1:Read more and see it does play them. What about the database side, so you can use some sort of CoverFlow view and info about them? Or do you just have to browse the directory structure to them? Now's your chance to plug away, since I'm asking.)

(edit2: just read part of the manual, but I'm gonna let you plug it anyway. An integrated database as I noted above though, would really make it an all-in-one app. And a forum just for MediaCentral would go a long way.)

OP
G
Reaction score
thanks Aptmunich;
I am more interested in recording HD movies directly from my HD receiver, and archiving them for streaming later on.
As i explained earlier, i am doing this using Hauppauge HD PVR model 1212, with a Vista PC. I just got this Hauppauge HD PVR few days ago and I still got time to decide if to keep it or return it. so if i can find a replacement that works with MacBook, that will be great.

P. S. I ordered my MacBook yesterday and may pick it up today or tomorrow.
Processor Type Intel Core 2 Duo
Screen Size 13.3"
RAM (Preloaded / Maximum) 4GB
Hard Drive 160GB SATA 5400RPM
Optical Drives 8X Super Multi DVD+/-RW DL
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Average Battery Life 5 Hours
Product Weight 2.04 kg
Audio Type Stereo
Battery Type Lithium-Polymer
Cache 3MB L2
Fax/Modem No
I/O Ports 2 x USB 2.0, 1 x VGA, 1 x Composite
Included In Box Manual, Charger
Network Card 10/100/1000BASE-T, IEEE 802.11n Draft
Other Software iLife '08, Xcode Developer Tools
PC Card Slots No
Pointing Device Trackpad
Preloaded Operating System Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard
Processor Speed 2.0GHz
Product Dimensions 32.5(W) x 2.41(H) x 22.7(D) cm
Removable Storage No
Screen Type Widescreen
Speakers Yes
System Bus 1066MHz
Warranty 1 Year Limited

OP
G
Reaction score
Sorry, to steal your thread for a minute george.

That the company you work for apt? And ya'll are doing MediaCentral I see. Does it recognize and play video_ts folders.

I'm still looking for a single app that will provide a one stop centralized media database ala Delicious Library or DVDpedia style, but also one click play from there to include video_ts folders. (Even if I have to manually add movies and then create the association to the folder.)

(edit1:Read more and see it does play them. What about the database side, so you can use some sort of CoverFlow view and info about them? Or do you just have to browse the directory structure to them? Now's your chance to plug away, since I'm asking.)

(edit2: just read part of the manual, but I'm gonna let you plug it anyway. An integrated database as I noted above though, would really make it an all-in-one app. And a forum just for MediaCentral would go a long way.)

Hi bobtomay;
I don't work for Hauppauge if this what you mean. I have Scientific Atlanta HD8300 PVR from Rogers and always schedule the programs i want to watch, but that can fill up fast when used for HD content. So i add an HDD extender, which add additional 500GB to the HD8300.
Then I got myself the HP mediasmart EX475 and started to think of a way to copy my recordings directly to the HP MSS, but for restrictions on the HD8300, i can't access the programs directly on the hard drive, so that failed.

then I came across the Hauppauge HD PVR, I only got it last weekend. and it gets its feeds from the HD8300 (components and Optical for audio for 1080i HD). it can record directly into 2 formats (.TS and .M2TS) these 2 file formats can be streamed directly on my network with PS3 or Popcorn Hour , no need to convert them, unless you need smaller file size, you can convert them to MP4 (to play them on PSP, iPod, and other devices).

for a movie of 2 hours length, you get a file size of about 4GB if you use capture rate 6.4Mbs, for a 9Mbs you get a file size about 7GB but the quality is seamless, and off course you get 5.1 surround sound with both.

When accessing files using PS3, I brows to the Movies folder and i can see all movies in alphabetical order, with just a random shot from the movie as a thumbnail before the movie title is displayed.
When access the same folder from PopCornHour, I see just the movies titles in order with no thumbnails or any pictures.

but remember these are direct recording and not DVD ripping. Although i have a ripping DVD software, I rarely do any DVD ripping (always have audio video sync problems) so I don't have .TS folders to check. if i can find the time over the weekend, I will try ripping a DVD and let you know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.