iPhoto 5 still sucks

S

simple

A while ago I posted that I couldn't stand iphoto because it didn't support subfolders, and then someone suggested iphoto 5. I now have ilife 05 with iphoto and it still sucks. The only way to keep your subfolders properly organized during import is it import them one by one. If you select two folders in finder and drag them into iphoto it dumps the contents of both finder folders in to the same album. Stupid stupid stupid. Iphoto should maintain the directory structure of the imported folders. Also it sucks because you cannot use the same name twice for albums and folders. Fine if its in the same folder but I should be able to have an album named "other" in more than one folder.

Overall iphoto is a mediocre program and not worth the money. Apple should dump their "library database" idea and intergrate finder into iphoto. Much easier to deal with finder that iphoto library. I still prefer to use image capture and a thrid party viewer for my photos. On a scale of 1-10 I give iphoto a 3.

Simple

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
simple said:
I still prefer to use image capture and a thrid party viewer for my photos.

Simple

and you doing this somehow requires an explanation to us?

hmm...I think not...

OP
D

Desolate One

ApplejustWorks said:
and you doing this somehow requires an explanation to us?

hmm...I think not...

I think his review was quite helpful. I also hate iPhoto for the same reasons and was also wondering if Apple had made changes to the program that would change the way it organizes photos. Luckily he had posted otherwise I very well could have learned the hard way by purchasing the new version.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Were there any changes in that area in iPhoto 5.0.1?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I like how with 5 you can now have your iPhoto library on an external drive

I have multiple librarys set up on my external hard drive so that if I am working on my sports shots I just open up that library

If you hold down alt/option when you click iPhoto it will ask you for the location of your library or if you want to create a new library

OP
D

djmitch

Desolate One said:
I think his review was quite helpful.
I second this. "simple" hit the nail on the head in terms of how I too have felt about iPhoto, although in another thread I've expressed a desire for someone to show me how to get over how iPhoto organizes photos by date so I can ditch my multiple-folder system of naming and organizing photos! Actually, it gets pretty tedious trying to create unique filenames for hundreds of photos, so perhaps iPhoto's organizational method - being quite simplistic - is actually the best one after all. However, I'm still torn about which way I should go at this point ...

Reaction score
I personally like the idea of the database. I don't like messing with folders at all. I hate using the finder. I use spotlight to locate stuff, it's godsent.

My only complaint is there is no video management program yet, like an iTunes for video, and iTunes video capabilities are not great, support only mp4 and h.264 .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Honestly, I wish they'd release Picasa 2 for OS X. I still prefer it over iPhoto. My wife thinks otherwise, but then, she's got the dual-core 2ghz iMac and I've got the 450mhz Cube lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
I kinda dig it. Its like itunes for photos. It would be nice if multiple folders imported at the same time got different roll numbers. But you can do the folder thing (manually), using the last rolls feature helps a lot. Keywords make life easier too. One thing I wish were changed would be the batch rename. I want it to actually change the filename. The database is nice because you can make non-permanent changes. A video database system would rock. I mean this is the year of HD. Anyway not to sound like a fanboy but 79 bucks for 5 solid programs aint that bad of a deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
GRAVEDIGGERS!
;)

This thread is quite old and iPhoto 6 actually now has an option to let you manage your photos the way you want to,....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 1.67 15" 2GB RAM 80GB HD Superdisk
Aptmunich said:
This thread is quite old and iPhoto 6 actually now has an option to let you manage your photos the way you want to,....

Is there an upgrade path from iLife 5 to 6? I recently got my PB from Apple and it seems I have to pay the full $79 for 6. Is that correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Aptmunich said:
GRAVEDIGGERS!
;)

Good call. I didn't notice. iPhoto 5 is version 6 no?

scottwdw 79 bucks is and upgrade price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
No, iPhoto 5 is version 5. iPhoto 6 is version 6.

???

iPhoto 6 was introduced with iLife '06 this January.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Aptmunich said:
No, iPhoto 5 is version 5. iPhoto 6 is version 6.

???

iPhoto 6 was introduced with iLife '06 this January.

thats funny cause...

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 30
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Did you photoshop that for April Fools?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
IronMac said:
No. Why would you say that?

That is strange. This is from my iPhoto 6.

Picture 2.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
IronMac said:
No. Why would you say that?
Because that shot is really odd. 5.0.4/build 263 is iPhoto 5 ("Copyright © 2002-2005 Apple Computer, Inc.") Contrast with the other iPhoto 6 shots that others provided.

And, well, it was April 1. :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
technologist said:
Because that shot is really odd. 5.0.4/build 263 is iPhoto 5 ("Copyright © 2002-2005 Apple Computer, Inc.") Contrast with the other iPhoto 6 shots that others provided.

And, well, it was April 1. :mac:

Yeah. I been having some trouble with ShapeShifter, I think that 5 came from the theme I was using.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.