A question about freeing up Hard drive space

Reaction score
Hi I have recently had a clear out of loads of files I no longer need, I put them in the trash and then clicked empty trash. However I am still using about 60 GB of space, even though I only have about 30 GB of stuff in my user and there is about 11 GB in the applications folder and thats it. If I use the secure delete on trash will that free up a bit more space? Or can anyone make any suggestions. Any advice will be much appreciated.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Have a look at this program:

id-design, inc. | WhatSize

It will analyze your hard drive and tell you exactly how your space is being allocated. Very handy tool for tracking down stuff that you might have forgotten about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, Mac Mini, 2 Classic Ipod's, and an old Imac
Don't know if this will apply to you, but I had a username with seemingly no content on it, so I never worried about it. One day I noticed I was using quite a bit of space on the hard drive so I was going through erasing duplicate files, useless files, that sort of thing. I decided to get rid of the extra user, and it freed up about 12 gigs. Don't know why, but I was glad to get the space back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
the 2.5" sata hard drives are constantly dropping in price. look at getting a bigger hard drive (they are very easy to replace) and you can just get an external 2.5" hard drive enclosure to install your 60gb old drive in so you can gather the info off it or use it as an external drive for more space.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.