A few questions (new user)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alum. 13" 2.0GHz
I just got my first MacBook last night (new aluminum, 2.0GHz), and I have figured it out for the most part... but I do still have a few questions.

During skype, the cam isn't recognized? I went to skype preferences to make sure my video was enabled and it was, but in the preview box above it, it said "Camera device not connected." I was wondering if any of you had the same problems, or what I would need to do/update in order for it to work.

Another question, when I download a program (I'll just use skype as an example), when I want to delete the program and remove it completely from my MacBook so it doesn't take up memory, how would I do so?

Another! Where would I find information on my system regarding how much memory I have used/is left?

Regarding MobileMe, when I try to add an account such as my Yahoo! E-mail address, it continually ask for, and rejects, my password. Does it just not support Yahoo! E-mail accounts?

Is the only way to get an @mac e-mail address, to subscribe to MobileMe?

Also, is MobileMe worth $100 annually?

I know that is a lot of questions! But I feel as though they aren't really worthy of calling into Apple.

Another (opinionated) question, is the 2.4GHz better than the 2.0GHz? Is the memory and illuminated keyboard worth the extra money? Would I be able to exchange my 2.0 for the 2.4 if I change my mind within the next week?

Thank you!!!!!! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 uni
Yes mobile me is the only way to get a mac. address, it use to be free;(
It's not worth the 100.00 a year, if you want to try it. buy it off ebay for 50 bucks.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alum. 13" 2.0GHz
haha thanks AirAddict, I kind of figured that seeing as I don't have an iPhone or any other interesting things that it would sync with. When I wanted to try it for 60 days it required a credit card and if I didn't cancel before 60 days it would charge me so I was like WHAT! Lol no way I will remember to cancel it in two months. I'm kind of bummed I missed out on the mac. address though! Oh well, yahoo works great. Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air 11" (2012), Macbook Pro 15" (Early 2008), Mac Mini i5 (2012)
I gladly spend the $100 a year to renew. Not just for the .mac address but for iDisk (eliminates the need for jump sticks when taking data to other networks) and I really like syncing features, keeps all my macs current (bookmarks, addresses, email accounts, etc). Plus quick publishing of web pages with aperture/iphoto and iweb, saves me time.

Just my 2 cents.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alum. 13" 2.0GHz
I gladly spend the $100 a year to renew. Not just for the .mac address but for iDisk (eliminates the need for jump sticks when taking data to other networks) and I really like syncing features, keeps all my macs current (bookmarks, addresses, email accounts, etc). Plus quick publishing of web pages with aperture/iphoto and iweb, saves me time.

Just my 2 cents.

I appreciate your 2 cents! I bought my MacBook mainly for my college school work, so thats basically what I will be using it for. So if I don't really have the need to publish a website or to take data to other networks would you say it is worth it?

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alum. 13" 2.0GHz
Ah another question, why is my finder always running? (Little white dot beneath it)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
It's like windows explorer which is constantly running on a Windows machine. It's your basic file explorer and so key to the system GUI.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 2.93Ghz i7 iMac 16GB, 15" 2.66 Ghz i7 MBP 8GB, 2.13Ghz MBA 4GB, iPhone4 32GB, iPad3G 32GB
A quick pointer about @mac.com email address. If you buy MobileMe now, you will get @me.com, @mac is no longer available to new customers. All previous users have both @mac and @me.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alum. 13" 2.0GHz
A quick pointer about @mac.com email address. If you buy MobileMe now, you will get @me.com, @mac is no longer available to new customers. All previous users have both @mac and @me.

Bummer :( but thanks for the info!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air 11" (2012), Macbook Pro 15" (Early 2008), Mac Mini i5 (2012)
I appreciate your 2 cents! I bought my MacBook mainly for my college school work, so thats basically what I will be using it for. So if I don't really have the need to publish a website or to take data to other networks would you say it is worth it?

I started my .mac the summer before my senior year in college (summer 2007). I remember using the idisk a lot because I could just dump files in there and open them in the computer labs or library if I didn't have my laptop.

I was also an IT manager then so I would use it to keep track of files between my lenovo desktop and my macs (rather than sneaker netting it with a usb drive). I had the extra $100 so it wasn't a big deal. Now a days I use it much more, primarily for the above mentioned reasons but also because it keeps my data synced between my iphone and other macs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.