Mac HDD in a external enclosure doesn't give permission to read some files

Reaction score
My Macbook 13.3" Os x 10.tiger has logic board dead. I removed hard drive and put in a external enclosure to recovery my important files. I don't have friends with Mac and I have tried read it on Linux. My user account on Mac had password and some folders I changed on ("get info") owner and permission as: Owner: my user (read and write)
2nd user: read only
others: no access
Can anybody help me how to change permission on Linux for that especific case or if can only use another Mac is possible to change that again?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can probably do it from the Linux terminal but unless you're familiar with how, I suggest you find someone with a Mac and hook the drive up that way.

If you think you can do it from the Linux terminal, see the following:

Linux Command Directory: Index

Regards.

Reaction score
you can take a crack at it from the command line:

1) open a terminal window
2) navigate to the root directory of your external drive
3) chown -R user:usergroup ./ (where user = your username and usergroup = some group that you're a part of)
4) chmod -R 777 ./

that should make it accessible again, good luck... fyi, if that data is sensitive and you don't want other people to look at it, I'd learn how to set permissions again after you copy it somewhere else.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.