Running an MacBook without the battery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook
Hi,

Can I safely run my Macbook safely without the battery without damaging it?

I used to run my old Windows based laptop without the battery as to save the battery from being over charged and shortening it's life.

Thanks

Mark.

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
Yeah you can but be careful as magsafe adaptor comes out really easily.

Reaction score
Am really a newbie to Macs generally and to this forum too, but does keeping the power cord connected even after the battery is full reduce the life of the battery? I usually do this whenever I am near a power source.

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
Me too. Just try and run your battery down once a month or so. Remember batteries don't last forever, accept it, recycle it and get a new one if you need it.

Apple batteries are normally pretty good. I wouldn't worry. I used my 17" for two years nearly always on the mains and I had 70% battery life when I sold it on.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
macbooks are designed to run slower without the battery as well. and you can't overcharge the battery.

so, you're risking instant shutdown (which is not great for your data) and running slower without the battery.

leave it in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.