MacBook - no sound (not the headphone jack)

Reaction score
About 3 days ago I lost all sound through speakers and headphone jack. I've searched and read about digital output/red light issue but it's not that.

I can change volume up and down, there is no red light, but audio output preferences only list builtin speakers, soundflower (2ch), and soundflower (16ch).

Audio input lists the line-in(mic) port and I thought the line-out port used to be listed for output.

Any help appreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
What is Soundflower? Have you installed any audio software that might have affected the sound drivers?

EDIT: Okay, this is presumably soundflower: Cycling '74 || soundflower

That's probably the issue then. Uninstall it?

OP
I
Reaction score
I didn't install it in the first place but I've just downloaded soundflower, installed, uninstalled, and now the only output available is built-in output.

Still no sound and no headphone port available

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Built-in output is correct. Try restarting to remove the soundflower drivers competely.

OP
I
Reaction score
I rebooted after removal of soundflower but still no sound. I wish I knew what loaded it in the first place. I'll take it in to Apple and see if they can sort it.

Thanks for your help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.