Problems getting a website to work on Safari!

Reaction score
OK, so here is my problem. I have bee contracted to develop a website, and it all works great, looks great and is exactly what they are looking for, until of course you try it in Safari.

Now here is the wierd thing, out of the 20 or so pages on the site, 6 of them don't center on Safari, what perplexes me is the fact that even pages with basically identical style sheets, for some reason won't align properly.

Ok, it's probably better if you see for yourself.

Girl360
Girl360
Girl360
Girl360
Girl360
Girl360

Those are the only pages I am having a problem with, now if you look at any other page on the website, they look fine.

I thought this may be a W3 validation issue, but when I ran them through 4 of the 6 pages came back perfect for the DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional and the 2 that didn't were such minor parse errors, like a blank alt="" that that couldn't be the issue. So what is the deal?

Any help would be appreciated, these pages look fine on IE6 and 7, FF, and Opera, and the majority of the site looks fine on Safari, it's just these pages are being stubborn, and seeing as the style sheets are basically indentical (minor changes as needed) between pages, I cannot figure out how to fix it for Safari alone, without completely destroying everything for the other browsers (although it is hard to fix somehting I can't find a reason for).

HELP!!!!

I'm already a self proclaimed apple-phobe, and this is just exacerbating the problem!

So I need to figure this out, not only because it is driving me crazy, but also so that I can have a little less animosity towards Apple.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Soon to own
This problem could be solved with some JavaScript. With it, you can load different pages (or versions of the same page) in different web browsers. You could then tweak a copy of the source code meant for Safari. Some more info on this can be found here.

OP
T
Reaction score
That's what I was trying to avoid, tweaking the code for specific pages just for Safari. The link you gave is broken BTW, but I can find the javascript stuff on W3.

What is really getting me though is that it is only 6 of the 20 pages that are having this problem, and I'm not sure why the others are working fine and these 6 are not, seeing as the layouts are the same, the only real difference between style sheets is the background or length of the page, font size, and headers, nothing that would really account for the difference in appearance, especially when you look at the Our Tema pages, they are all identical to the about, pande, etc. pages as far as layout goes, but they are not working while the team pages do.

Even morew disheartening is that these pages were working fine until recently, somewhere along the line, something happened that messed these pages up.

Being that I'm not a mac user, and I only use Safari to check browser compatibility, do you think you could actually figure out what tweaks I would need to make? Or at least find the3 source of the problem? I'm really lost here. It is really driving me nuts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Soon to own
Sorry, I don't do scripting requests. However, I do think I know more specifically what the problem is. In all likelihood, you're using CSS to make the pages, correct? The problem may be compatibility issues, it's possible that you as using a newer version of CSS and since Safari is the oldest of the current generation of web browsers, it is possible that Safari is too old to understand some of the syntax. Or it could be the complete opposite and the language you're scripting in is too old and Apple neglected to include it in Safari 3.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the effort and thought you put into it, Through some excruciating troubleshooting, I was able to figure it out, it was a banner height issue, basically 2px were throwing all of those pages off, and that was conflicting with a panel height issue on another aspect of the page. It works now though. Thanks, only took me 3 days and 20 hours to figure it out! Yay Safari!

:) Thanks again for trying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Soon to own
You're welcome and if you you have problems in the future, obviously you can come here, but feel welcome to PM me personally if you'd like.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.