• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Someone Gave Me a 20" iMac for Free!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
Well guys, the title says it all!
I was working for a guy and he said that since I did such a good video editing job for him that he would give me an iMac.
He was good to his word. I got the iMac from him and Im restoring the HD on it right now. It only has a 250GB in it so I am trying to decide whether or not I want to put a 500GB internal in it or whether I should just use one of the externals that I have.
Just thought I would let you guys know how blessed I am.
I am adding to my Mac Collection

Alum imac
white iMac C2D
Alum MacBook, soon selling for 15" MacBook Pro!

Reaction score
Good deal, wish someone would give me a free mac! I'd just use an external hd, since swapping a new internal hd isn't as easy as it sounds, unless you were going to have someone else do it. But I'd still just use an external.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Cool, someone else got a free Mac. I recently got a free Mac Pro!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
External drives are the way to go, I got 4 on my iMac totaling 2tb of external space and 320gb internal. Yay hard drives!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz, 160GB, 4GB RAM
Lucky! I wish I could get one for free xD.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
On the newer iMacs from the last iMac G5 to the recent ones, it's a pain to take it apart to get to the Hard Drive. I would also recommend using externals unless the internal dies down the line.

Also you did not say if it came with any Apple Care but taking the newer iMacs apart would void that also.

Great deal! The closest I have ever gotten is a Power Mac G4 Sawtooth for free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
It's not free, you worked for it! So well done you, looks like the work was appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1
okay, if someone wants give me a mac, i wanna a macbook air. Cause i have an iMac 20 (latest white) and i very happy with it, so the Air is a good accessory.The Air is the best looking mac for me now. very attractive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Wow.. Congrats! I hear about stuff like this happening to lots of people all of the time. I wish something would finally break for me and something like this would happen. :(

OP
Mjc.americor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
Well thanks guys. I got a 1TB external that Im going to just plug into it.
Im glad that I have a firewire port again; these new MacBooks dont have firewire and its really a pain in the butt.
I just upgraded all of it and Installed iLife 09!
Its pretty much insane!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.