How to Restore my backed up files

Reaction score
Here is my situation. I used LaCie's backup software that came with my LaCie d2(?) 300GB external drive. I then proceeded to erase my internal hard drive after trying to unsuccessfully partition it. I also wanted to use Boot Camp and it kept saying that it couldn't move some files. Anyways, I erased the drive and reinstalled Leopard from the install DVD so I now have a fresh OS. Lacie's software only backed up my old files as files and not as a disk image. I want to restore my old files from my Lacie drive (apps, preference files, music, etc) back to the new fresh install. The LaCie software backed up the files, but did not produce a disk image. When I try and drag the backed up files to the new fresh internal hard drive, for example my old apps folder, it keeps saying "Applications" can't be modified or deleted because it is required by Mac OS X. So, how do I get my old files back from my external drive? Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
did you use time machine to do the backup? If so you can just use migration assistant (you can find it by searching in spotlight) and choose to migrate files from a time machine backup and migration assistant will take care of the rest for you.

OP
E
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I did not use time machine. The LaCie backup software I used seems to only have my backed up hard drive as a file folder with all the data that was on it. I guess a better question would be how to I change this folder to a disk image so I can use it to restore my system?

Reaction score
i doubt you will be able to make it a .dmg and restore from it. but if you used
The LaCie backup software to make the backup i would try installing The LaCie backup software on your new fresh install. There should be an option in that piece of software to handle the restore. Usually 3rd party backup utilities do that.

OP
E
Reaction score
I am certain that the Lacie software I used to backup will not restore the files. What 3rd party, and preferably free, software would be recommended to restore my files?

Reaction score
i don't know anything else for you to try. If the Lacie software wont do the restore but it did the backup maybe you could email their support.

OP
E
Reaction score
I pretty got my system running like it was, just had to change everything around and get it to how it was before off memory. Thanks for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.