To buy an ibook or not??

T

therealj

Hi guys/gals,

First post here, so please bare with me. I recently sold my compaq x1030us laptop and I'm now in the market for a new one. My use's for the laptop will be very basic, web, email, music, dvd watching and music storage. I want something small and I'm very interested in getting an ibook, but the more I read about them the more I seem to be discouraged. The latest post about the screen warping seems like the final straw for me. Now I've read numerous other boards and I just don't see the consistent reporting of problems with systems like I do on the apple forums. Putting your apple love aside for a minute can you guys honestly tell me that the ibook is a good purchase?

OP
J

Jason

People are always quick to complain. What size iBook are you considering? I'm guessing the 12" if you're worried about that issue. You could go for a 14" if it really concerns you that much, as not as many people seem to have that complaint with them.

OP
T

therealj

yeah I'm looking at the 12" , I want the 12" for sure. The PB isn't really an option for my needs and also the heat issue. I really like the ibook and everything it offers, just not the problems I've been reading about. Has Apple addressed this issue at all? Waiting a few months doesn't bother me if this problem is going to be fixed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ibook g4 1.33, 768 ram
i've had the ibook g4 14inch for a little more then a month, there is absolutely no problem with mine. if there is a problem with the 12inch models, apple will defiantly being fixing it, and if there happen to be a problem you'll defiantly be taken care of. is it worth going with a pc for a very small chance of a problem that can easily be fixed?

OP
T

therealj

macman88 said:
i've had the ibook g4 14inch for a little more then a month, there is absolutely no problem with mine. if there is a problem with the 12inch models, apple will defiantly being fixing it, and if there happen to be a problem you'll defiantly be taken care of. is it worth going with a pc for a very small chance of a problem that can easily be fixed?

I don't want to go with a pc at all, I really want an ibook. From my understanding in the other thread Apple is not taking care of customers that had this problem, that worries me. Thanks for the input though :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ibook g4 1.33, 768 ram
if you do go with the ibook are you planning on purchasing applecare along with it?

OP
T

therealj

macman88 said:
if you do go with the ibook are you planning on purchasing applecare along with it?

probably not, I can't see myself using the same machine for more than 2 years

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well I can't speak for the other iBook owners, but I must say that I've never had a problem with screen warping or anything with my iBook.

You have to remember that you only hear the users that do have problems and as far as I can tell - they seem to be mostly on the minor cosmetic imperfection side.

I would advise you to take a leap of faith on this one - get the iBook, make sure you inspect it on arrival and see how you go.

OP
P

PrimeRib

Aptmunich said:
Well I can't speak for the other iBook owners, but I must say that I've never had a problem with screen warping or anything with my iBook.

You have to remember that you only hear the users that do have problems and as far as I can tell - they seem to be mostly on the minor cosmetic imperfection side.

I would advise you to take a leap of faith on this one - get the iBook, make sure you inspect it on arrival and see how you go.

I've read the earlier posts and have to comment about the case warping issues. From what I can tell, the screen warps or "bends" due to stress from opening and closing the ibook (not really a way to prevent THAT) - head to the Apple store, look at the 12' iBook and look at the one single hinge that binds the screen to the case - after opening and closing a few times, you can see "why" the bending issue occurs, and start to realise how to prevent it. If you are the careful conscious type, opening and closing your iBook carefully and without great "oomph" or force, you shoud be able to prevent this issue. However, those without taking this extra special care may eventually find the warping at that bottom hinge.

Here's the bottom line. Does it (screen/case warp) prohibit use of the laptop? No.
Does it prevent the laptop from opening/closing correctly? No.
Is it merely a cosmetic issue? Yes.

After your 1 year warrenty, you're likey going to have scratches and dirt buildup on the case from use - does it really matter when you add a minor screen warp due to excessive use? Not to me. By then, I'll likely have a PB G5.....

;)

-Prime

OP
T

therealj

PrimeRib said:
I've read the earlier posts and have to comment about the case warping issues. From what I can tell, the screen warps or "bends" due to stress from opening and closing the ibook (not really a way to prevent THAT) - head to the Apple store, look at the 12' iBook and look at the one single hinge that binds the screen to the case - after opening and closing a few times, you can see "why" the bending issue occurs, and start to realise how to prevent it. If you are the careful conscious type, opening and closing your iBook carefully and without great "oomph" or force, you shoud be able to prevent this issue. However, those without taking this extra special care may eventually find the warping at that bottom hinge.

Here's the bottom line. Does it (screen/case warp) prohibit use of the laptop? No.

After your 1 year warrenty, you're likey going to have scratches and dirt buildup on the case from use - does it really matter when you add a minor screen warp due to excessive use? Not to me. By then, I'll likely have a PB G5.....

;)

-Prime

Thanks for the reply...I appreciate the help from all of you , I really do. The warping is something that would really annoy me, I'm too anal about my "toys" to look at something like that. Does the powerbook have the same tendancy or is the construction different. The main reason I'm leaning towards the ibook is the price and the fact that I've read the powerbook gets quite hot, I like to sit back and surf the net with my laptop on my "lap" :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I wouldn't recommend using any laptop on your lap if you plan on having children ;)

I used to but the heat is actually quite uncomfortable after more than 30min or so, so I put my iBook on a largish hardback book to use on my lap.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Aptmunich said:
I wouldn't recommend using any laptop on your lap if you plan on having children ;)

Funny I was going to say the same thing.

OP
T

therealj

Well...any centrino based laptop I've used stays quite cool by computer standards, just barely warm. So that's my only basis for comparison. I guess I can always get a cooling pad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4ghz SR, 256m 8600gt, 640gb HD, 3gb RAM
my new ibook g4 12"

I just got a new ibook g4 1.2 ghz off of Apple's website, and let me tell you, if you buy this laptop you will not have gone wrong! first off, I have been sitting here on my couch in my frat house using our wireless internet for almost an hour and the ibook 1.2ghz is not nearly too warm to hold on my lap, I got a g3 800 mhz 12" for graduation, and it got very warm when using on the lap, so the g4 is quite an improvement. also, it is very small, I just sold my gateway 450 series centrino for this, and I will never go back to gateway after the ibook g4, the ibook is a work of art compared to ugly windows laptops.

OP
N

n0r1

Aptmunich said:
Note that this is a documented problem for men, but not for women ...

But the book idea is a good one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
wow my first post in this forum!!! i just bought a 12in ibook today. i have been stalking them for a while. this is my first laptop so i cannot tell you about the screen thing. the prices seem to be regulated from apple so you will pay the same no matter where you go. i did find that the comp usa warranty is better than the mac store (included screen repair and/or replacement). another thing that i have discovered is that the 256 mb of ram is ok, but i bought more ram anyway. if you are going to put music on your puter, you should spring for a bigger hard drive. i have not tested out the wireless yet, and i have been on the internet for about an hour now and the puter doesn't feel hot. IMO

Dylan

OP
T

therealj

Just want to thank all you guys for the replies, I basically just needed some reassurance, I want a mac and as it stands right now I'm going to get one, leaning towards a powerbook, it's a steal with the education discount. Will there be a new OS within a couple months ?

OP
I

iDVFH.

PrimeRib said:

;)

-Prime
In some cases is does prevent the ibook from closing. if the screen is warped enough it can actually stop the lock from being able to lock. very unlikely though.(i personally dont care cause im in it for the machine not the look)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.