How can I start multiple instance of an application

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to MAC. How can I start multiple instance of an application?
e.g. I have a 'Terminal' application, a 'TextEdit' application in my dock.

When I click the icon, 1 instance get starts. But when I click the icon again,
it just raise the window of the application that I started. How can I have another instance of the application that I started?

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Nope: Not on a Mac. One instance only.

You can bring up more windows of most apps.
TextEdit. File > New or use the quick keys 'command n' as often as necessary which has worked with all the apps I have tried it with.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Thank you.

Can you please tell me how can I configure 'Terminal' to always use 'Homebrew' color scheme?

Now, I need to do 'New Window->Homebrew'

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Terminal > Preferences > New window with settings > drop down arrow.> Homebrew.

new window command n

The application preferences are always under their name on the menu bar.

Reaction score
i was wondering about instancing apps as well. separate instances of the same app as opposed to different windows. i don't think this is possible but because of my limited knowledge, i have to ask.

-tonyb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
This may be possible (via a hack of duplicating the application) but not recommended since the duplicated open applications would all be messing with the same preferences file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 250GB HDD Mac OS X-10.5.8, Apple iPod nano 8GB Black
@ torchy,

I have had multiple instances of a same application running in my Leopard 10.5.7. (But, I did not intentionally started them).

Could you shed some light, on how does this has happened?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I don't recall seeing OS X launch an application twice without that app being duplicated first. So I'm unsure how you could have done that rusell23.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 250GB HDD Mac OS X-10.5.8, Apple iPod nano 8GB Black
In fact, I haven't done intentionally. But, I saw two safari application icons in the dock with white light (spot) glowing under each of them, indicating both of them are running.

Unfortunately or fortunately, after my upgrade the problem solved. So I cannot reproduce the same condition to post a screen shot.

Reaction score
Multiple instances possible

The short answer: Yes, it is possible to have multiple instances. Just open terminal and type:

open -n /Applications/[app name].app

For more in-depth explanation, check out:
Open More Than One Instance Of An App | Mac Tricks And Tips

If you need this often, you could make an applescript that would let you select the application and run a new instance of it.

Hope this helps.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for that tip. I've been doing it with multple copies of the few freeware apps I run this way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.