Weird thing happened today...

Reaction score
New to the forum here, first Mac forum and using my first Macbook Pro. Had it for about 5-6 months now, and absolutely love it. Today though I got a little scared because this is the first time something has happened to it as I do my best to take the best care of this great machine, but I was typing on Word 2008 and the whole computer got choppy, I closed out of programs and then it froze so I forced quit, and tried to restart which it would not do, took a few minutes to basically power cycle then came back up and was fine, now I'm sitting in class doing some notes and opened a powerpoint for the class and my battery was charging most of the day should have been 100% but the batter said there is only 1:20 left, and it's been going up by ten minutes until now it's at 2:50 and it's not even plugged in. Sorry to be so long winded but anyone come across this or should I start to worry about something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
With a new Mac I'd get the Apple store guys to check it out as it's still under warranty. Write everything down while you remember what happened and take the note with you.
All the best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
Why Your Battery Went From 1:20-2:50 (time until empty)

New to the forum here, first Mac forum and using my first Macbook Pro. Had it for about 5-6 months now, and absolutely love it. Today though I got a little scared because this is the first time something has happened to it as I do my best to take the best care of this great machine, but I was typing on Word 2008 and the whole computer got choppy, I closed out of programs and then it froze so I forced quit, and tried to restart which it would not do, took a few minutes to basically power cycle then came back up and was fine, now I'm sitting in class doing some notes and opened a powerpoint for the class and my battery was charging most of the day should have been 100% but the batter said there is only 1:20 left, and it's been going up by ten minutes until now it's at 2:50 and it's not even plugged in. Sorry to be so long winded but anyone come across this or should I start to worry about something?

I don't think this is anything you should worry about - this has happened to me and I think it's just that your battery started using less and less power as time went on. When it happened to me, my 17" MacBook Pro went suddenly from something like 3:30 to between 7 and 8 hours of battery life. (I got mine in August 2008)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
As far as the battery, you have to remember the time is an "estimated" time. It will take into account what is currently being done. The time will often fluctuate up and down as what you are doing changes. Start watching a few videos and that time will sink like a rock. Close everything and open TextEdit and it'll go back up again pretty quick.

Don't know that I'd worry about a single crash on any computer. If it does crash again and you're close enough to an Apple store, then I'd probably take it in as torchy suggests.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.