OS 10.4 install problems

Reaction score
Evening all,

I know that this has probably been asked 1 million and then some times before. But I am at the end of all I can take at the minute.

My Macbook pro has been a bit on the unstable side since I brought it second hand a while ago as the previous owner didnt do a full erase and install.

So to remedy this i thought i would remove my wanted files from the machine (that was far more 'fun' than I had imagined) and erase and install from the OS disks.

Only problem is that after getting about 30% through installing from the disks it kicks up "error on install, please restart"! Now i can imagine that this is to do with a faulty disk, but I dont want to have to buy OS10.4 again as I have a legit copy.

But can I use a friends copy of the OS and register it post install?

If anyone can help me out on this it would be much appreciated, so i can make a late night call to a friend and get them to bring their disk to work tomorrow :)

Thankyou

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Retail boxed discs only not discs that came with another Mac which will only work with that Mac.
If the Discs you are using are grey, are you sure they belong to your Mac?

Another thing to remember is that you cannot down grade a Mac.
The discs, even retail, have to be the same or newer. eg you cannot use a OSX 10 4 Tiger disc on a Mac that came out with OSX 10.4.2. Same with Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Retail versions of 10.4 will not work on a MacBook Pro since they were all PowerPC only. Apple switched to Intel processors after Tiger had been released, and the only versions which were Intel compatible were those which shipped with new computers. The only way to replace that install disk is to find a MacBook Pro restoration disk SPECIFIC to your exact model, with the same version number of OS X. You might as well just upgrade to Leopard, since you can buy any retail disk and use it on that machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.