Using two screens

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just purchased the cables so that I can connect my imac to the tv.
I read somewhere that I can configure it so that I can have a movie playing on the tv and I can surf your forums on the mac.
Is this true and if so how?

Can I have idiot instructions as I am a mac newbie (A very happy mac newbie)

I work in IT support. Why cant I work on a mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
Go to System Preferences and then Displays. From there you should see a button or checkbox or something that lets you switch between "mirroring" (both monitors show the exact same thing) and "extended desktop" (which is what you want).

OP
L
Reaction score
Brilliant

Superb thanks for that. All I need now is for the posty to deliver the bits

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac7,1
If you are using a VLC player, you can change your full screen setting to the second window. Remember with each program you use you will need to do this. Some programs you use will not let you be in full screen mode, and use your desktop.
FYI

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
Ah, Didn't know that.

Will it work in iTunes and/or quicktime?

Not as far as I know. Quicktime will only go fullscreen on your main screen, and although iTunes can go full screen on your secondary screen, it blanks out your main screen while it does this. I have to find any solutions to those problems, and I'm not sure why apple doesn't allow you to simply watch stuff on itunes easily on a second screen, while leaving your main screen available.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.