Direct audio to different outputs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP: 2.53GHz Intel Core 2, 4GB DDR3, OS 10.6.8
can i direct the audio from one application to the internal speakers while directing the audio from another application to the USB Audio Device i have plugged, in at the same time??

48778190rz6.png

I know it is SOMEHOW possible, because sometimes i have the comp set to direct the audio to the external audio device, and my IM sounds on adium still come up on the internal speakers for some reason.

It seems like it happens with certain apps by accident, but how can i control where it goes??

In something like VLC you can control the audio output from within the app specifically, can you do this in firefox/safari/camino ?

OP
y0itsj0hn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if i change the output source in from the main taskbar on the top of the screen, all audio is directed to selected output source.

a lot of applications have an audio option in there own menus (EyeTV, VLC, QuickTime).

All I need to know is how to select the audio output source for my browers, or what i need to download in order to be able to do it...

no one on here knows how to do this??

OP
y0itsj0hn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
apparently rogue amoeba put out an app called "Detour" that allowed you to control the audio of different apps running (including safari and firefox) but it's no longer being made and only available for powerpc comps.

still searching................

edit:
i still can't find **** is there really no way to control the audio of browsers on mac?

what about itunes??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I don't see how you can unless the application has as part of its code, the direction to use the built-in audio of your Mac while ignoring the selected output method (SysPrefs > Sound). It would seem that some applications in fact do this, eg. Adium.

I use Eudora for email. It plays its alert sound over anything else I have going through audio out, same with iClock and its hourly alert sound. They obviously have audio override written into their code.

Scenario: you have iTunes playing via USB to external speakers, while you want an alert sound, for example from Adium, to play through the internal speakers at the same time. Have I got the general picture right?

Controlling where audio out goes within a specific application would be in its Preferences - if it was available. I'm using Camino right now, and there's nothing in its Prefs to allow me to direct sound where I want it, or to override the SysPrefs.

OP
y0itsj0hn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Scenario: you have iTunes playing via USB to external speakers, while you want an alert sound, for example from Adium, to play through the internal speakers at the same time. Have I got the general picture right?

Controlling where audio out goes within a specific application would be in its Preferences - if it was available. I'm using Camino right now, and there's nothing in its Prefs to allow me to direct sound where I want it, or to override the SysPrefs.

yes you have the general picture.

i have the four major browsers and you cant do it on any of them as far as i can see. i'm really disappointed with apple that they dont have a simple audio menu in safari.

it doesn't seem like it would be too hard to write a program to control the audio levels/output source of running applications. like rogue amoeba's detour for the powerpc's. then again what do i know, ehhh.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.