can i format the whole hard disk and install windows vista

Reaction score
hii everybody ,

first of all , am a windows user this is my first time to work with apple computer but i worked befor with leopard os .

now i have an acer aspir laptop , and want to buy a new one , so i decided
to buy a macbook pro laptop . but i have question to ask befor i buy it .

1 : can i format the whole hard disk and install windows vista (hardware compatible ?) ? or will have some problems ?
2 : is apple hardware is best of other brands like acer ,dell, hp . . .

and thanks very much for help a new user .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Dont bother buying an Apple computer if you only want to install windows on it.

It will make a fine PC but you will be missing the whole point of spending money on one, namely the OS and all the great OS X software

Buy a decent brand PC, using a mac to just run windows is like buying a Porsche and putting a Honda engine in it, expensive and quite frankly pointless

OP
A
Reaction score
re

dear louishen , i know what you mean , but when i decided to buy a mac i buy
it because its powerfull hardware , and i see many macbook pro laptop have rate of 5.1 on vista . finally i respect your opinion about mac , but what i need to know is if i buying a new macbook pro and install vista on it , if there is any problem ? like drivers wifi restart . . . .etc or will work perfect like intel pc .

note: i want to use windows vista because am developing using vs2008 that cant run on mac .

thanks .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
If you do buy a MacBook Pro just for Windows, please keep a small Mac partition so you can run any firmware updates etc. The Keyboard will need remapping and I'm not sure about the multi touch pad.

My IT manager son did the same and now has just one partition ~ all Mac :)

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
I know IT guys with MBPs. They say they are the best notebooks they have ever had. There are limitations but you may need a mouse for right click. They are good books but give OS X a shot. It's very good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Yeah, don't buy a Mac just to run Windows! louishen's analogy is a perfect way to describe what you are doing. If you want to run Windows, you can save a lot of money and just buy a Windows laptop. If you really want the Mac, split the hard drive into two partitions and keep OS X. You can use Windows as your main OS if you want, but just give OS X a try every now and then. You may find that you will be using it more and more, until you dump Windows altogether.

As for hardware compatibility, yes, the MacBook Pro will run Windows just like any other Windows notebook. Right click is achieved by placing two fingers on the trackpad while clicking. All necessary drivers are included on the Leopard restore disks that come with the machine.

However you will NEED to keep OS X on your computer as well, since the EFI boot system on a Mac needs to have an HFS+ partition with the necessary boot loader in order to load any OS. Macs do not have a BIOS, and can run Windows in a BIOS compatibility mode, but still need the OS X partition in order to recognize any other operating systems on the disk. This can be circumvented with software like rEFIt, but even then you will need to keep an HFS+ partition on your drive. If you are going to do that, you might as well keep OS X on it.

Remember that not all of the special features of the Mac will be available in Windows, and even if they are they do not work as well as they do in OS X. Apple hardware is very closely tied to the Mac operating system.

OP
A
Reaction score
thanks very much .

i think i will get it but have to leave osx installed and install windows(multiboot) .

but sorry last question , the performance of vista will be good like windows laptop ?

thanks again .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Yes, it will be the same as any Windows laptop with similar specs.

Don't forget that OS X (and great design) is what makes Macs worth so much more than a similarly equipped Windows machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.