Whats for the best?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1mac 24" 2.4
Hi Im looking to buy a 30" screen for a mac pro and what advice i would like is to whats the best or what model would be suitable for just playing games like call of duty4 and also i would like to run pc games using xcross over xp programes. Would i be better off getting the standard card that comes with the mac pro or the 8800 gt ? would this show better graphics in the games i wish to play. I can afford a 3.2 mac or im happy to go for the 2.8 version, but im not to sure how things pan out with regards to more ram in the 2.8 version compared to the 3.2 . I was thinking would it be a better investment to get the 3.2 model as it may hold its value as its the latest chip.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
For gaming, the graphics card is a lot more important than the processor. Also, most games can't take advantage of more than two cores.

Are you intending to do anything other than gaming on this machine? If not, why not just save thousands of dollars and get a gaming PC instead? You could get a higher end video card than the 8800GT (such as a Radeon 4870 or GeForce GTX 260).

If you insist on getting a Mac Pro for gaming, you could probably get the quad-core version and it won't hurt gaming performance at all but it'll save you $500. And definitely upgrade to the 8800GT. Also, make sure you buy extra RAM from Crucial to take you to 4 GB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.