Best mouse for Mac Pro

Reaction score
Here is the deal:

I have a new Mac Pro with 24'' Samsung screen. I am a graphic designer.

I hate the Mighty Mouse and got rid of it. I currently use a cheap Logitech that still cannot navigate smoothly in Leopard and is a burden to move on such a large screen. Mousezoom only helps with the speed. Currently, it has bad tracking and accuracy, although the speed is OK it still feels awkward to move. It just doesn't feel like a Windows mouse. I'm sure this all has to do with acceleration levels on a mac. I don't want to argue with anyone about how Mighty Mouse is great etc. I personally cannot stand the thing or how any (basic) mouse feels on Leopard.

Simply put: all I want is a mouse to feel like a mouse would on a Windows computer: fast, smooth, accurate.

My question is what mouse works best with a Mac Pro desktop? Logitech or Kensington? Those are the only brands I'm considering. Is a trackball better? I've heard that Kensington mouse software will replace the Apple acceleration levels so the mouse feels like a Windows mouse, is that true? I'm debating between Logitech MX Revolution or Kensington Expert Mouse trackball...among others.

Mouse can be wired and price is not a factor. Thank you very much in advance. This would solve a huge headache for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
I really, intensely dislike Apple's default mouse tracking. It uses way too much acceleration, making the mouse almost unusably slow if you move it slowly and then it jumps and goes way too fast once you hit a specific threshold of movement speed.

This isn't your mouse's fault, though. It's the mouse tracking. You can get USB Overdrive to change both tracking speed and acceleration regardless of which mouse you have.

I did have a Kensington mouse for a while and the software is a lot better than Logitech's and it lets you change acceleration as well, so if you get one you don't have to also pay for USB Overdrive. Logitech makes good mice but their software is crap.

Reaction score
I have a Logitech MX518 (never actually plugged the mighty that came with my imac) and i never experienced any problems so far.

Maybe because i used to be a high sensitive gamer i've never encountered a problem with speed or tracking issues. Plus i always keep the sensitivity on 800dpi through the mouse "on the fly" adjustment buttons.

Im also a graphic designer with a 24" screen btw.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2GHz, White 80GB iPod 5th Generation
I use the Logitech MX Revolution and I really enjoy it. The quick spin mode is just awesome and the mouse is really accurate over all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerPC G5 (4x2.5GHz)
I'm a photographer and don"t use a mouse at all - but a wacom tablet. I'd never go back to the cumbersome mouse, using the tablet and pen I don't get RSI - its a much more natural way of navigating around a big screen. The big down side is they can cost about £250+ - but if it's your job then the investment will really be worth it. The control you get is way beyond what any mouse can give you - but for that kinda price - so it should be :)

Reaction score
go for a razer krait or pro, best combination i've ever seen with a mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8 core 2.8GHz 14GB RAM, Geforce 8800GT, Dell 3008WFP
I've installed a Razer Deathadder Mac on my system. It's nice and precise and it's designed well to prevent stuff building up on the underside of it.

I do miss horizontal scrolling from my previous Microsoft Intelieye Explorer 4.0 sometimes though.

Reaction score
I use the Kensington "Expert Mouse", which is, in spite of the name, actually a trackball. It worked perfectly with my old Windows PC, and it has worked perfectly with my Mac Pro (both Tiger and Leopard).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.