Airport Express Problems

Reaction score
Well, I must say, this thing is a nightmare. It took me about an hour digging through google to find the hack for enabling 64-bit WEP security. I know I should step up to WPA, but I didn't feel like setting the security keys on everything again.

Anyway, I was able to find the hack and get the Airport Express working on my wireless network so I could stream music to my home theater. I used an XP MCE PC for the configuration and once I got the security problem solved, everything worked fine.

The problem now, is every couple hours, I get the popup on the XP machine wanting me to re-configure the Airport Express. If I just close out of the configuration manager, everything works fine. But the darn thing pops up a couple hours later. So the second time, I went through the entire process of setting up the Airport Express and according to the software everything was fine.

What do you know, a couple hours later, it shows up again. I've checked everything, thinking it was a scheduled task searching for firmware updates, but that is only scheduled weekly. The software is up to date and the Airport Express is connected to my D-Link DI-624 wirelessly.

One other question, is it possible to have the Airport Express work with my home theater and at the same time extend my network? My D-Link is in the basement and I wanted a little more range.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Well, I must say, this thing is a nightmare. It took me about an hour digging through google to find the hack for enabling 64-bit WEP security.
Hi,
so you were googeling for an hour to find you how to set up a VERY INSECURE conenction which can be cracked in some seconds. If this connection is hacked, you can get your online passwords, emails, photos, credit card numbers or any other private information very easily stolen.

I know I should step up to WPA, but I didn't feel like setting the security keys on everything again.
Well it looks you don't know it enough. Do you really have SOOO many network clients where you'd have to change the WEP key to a WPA passphrase ??? I'm really sure it wouldn't take more that the hour you spend on googling.

This confirms once again that the biggest problem in network security is the human factor ...

For the rest of your problems, I'll read them once you set up the WPA(2) key ;)

Tex

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.