Loose internet cable connection in my MacBook

Reaction score
I love my MacBook, but it's got one very annoying defect: the internet cable keeps becoming disconnected, resulting in the internet cutting out. Compared to the connection on my PC laptop, there's no 'click' when I push the cable into the MacBook and I find that the slightest shift causes the connection to be lost.

Is it just me having a dodgy cable connection on my MacBook? Or is this a general problem?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have you tried a different cable?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
that would be my thought too. not all cables are made the same, even a slight difference can keep the little locking clip from setting in place.

OP
M
Reaction score
Cheers. I just use the one BT (main UK internet provider, in case you're not in UK) supplied. I just assumed they were a standard size. My point is I can't understand why it works with my other laptop (not a Mac) and not my Mac.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not all ethernet cables are created equal. :) I have had the same problem. And it's not just limited to your Mac or any one machine. It's almost always the fault of the cable connector itself. Your ISP probably buys those cables by the truckload - all cheaply made. Go to a local computer store and invest in several good ethernet (CAT-5) cables of various lengths. Make sure they're rated as CAT-5 and not the smaller RJ-11 type.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.