iTunes & external hard drive

Reaction score
Is there a way to run an iTunes Library from an external hard drive? In other words how can I take the iTunes folder off my Macbook hard drive, put it on an external hard drive and have iTunes access it there. I want to save room on the Mac and figure I could just run iTunes from the external. Es possible?

Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody Macbook Pro 2.8GHZ 4GB, Powerbook G4, etc.
Yes, this is possible. What you have to do is locate your iTunes Library database file (.xml), most likely under ~user/music/iTunes, and replace all of the entries in it that point to your current hard drive location (ie. ~user/music/iTunes/iTunes Music), and replace it with the new location (ie. MyBook/music/iTunes Library).

You can do this using a text edit program with a find and replace function, or copy and paste the content of the database file into Word and use the find and replace function there. Copy and paste it back in, and boom. Make sure to make a backup of the original...just in case.

From there, you create a new iTunes folder on your external, dump over all of your music to your new drive (just as your previous iTunes playlist was), drop the xml file, and if all goes well, your library will be moved, and even your playcount, ratings and album art will be maintained.

This is the way I did it a couple of years ago with an older version of iTunes, however Apple has a tutorial on their website regarding library changes that may be a bit easier.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.