New hard drive, disk utility problem

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently bought a new 320 gig hard drive for my white MacBook 13" - as the original 80 gig hard drive is proving rather small. I followed the the instructions on replacing the hard drive, and loaded up the OSX installation disc, the only problem is that Disk Utility doesn't recognise the new hard disk, however, if I go into System Profiler, it shows up under Serial ATA as my primary hard disk.

I have tried taking it out and putting it back in again but to no avail, i've since put my old hard drive back in and its loaded fine (i'm using this at the moment).

I understand that the new drive would need to be formatted but the only way this seems possible to do it is by reformatting it via Disk Utility.

any ideas or help would be appreciated? :)

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
Boot up from the OS X DVD then you can access Disk utility from the bar. I can not remember which heading it's under and then you can format it.

OP
A
Reaction score
Boot up from the OS X DVD then you can access Disk utility from the bar. I can not remember which heading it's under and then you can format it.

Thats what I initially tried doing, but the disk utility doesn't recognise it, the only thing thats displayed is my CD drive and the Installation disk, but no hard drive, but when I then go into System Profiler from the same installation menu it shows up in there under my Serial-ATA box

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Are you definitely using the disc utility on the Install disc? No reason for it not too see it if so.

Reaction score
i just found that the drive is not seen in system profiler either, under serial ATA. so thats not good. i'll have to assume the drive is bad. too bad. i hope they take it back...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Before you RMA that drive...

1. Does the drive have a jumper? - certain drives (even SATA) have jumpers. If not set or set incorrectly, the drive will not be recognized.

2. Can you hear the drive spin up? Any vibration?

3. Is it hooked up correctly?

4. Do you have an external carrier you can test it with?

Regards,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.