Mac Pro Twin Graphics Cards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.8GHz Quad Core, 6 Gb Ram, 320Gb HD, Twin 20" Apple Monitors, 2.8GHz MBP, 4Gb Ram, 200Gb HD
Mac Pro with Two different DVI Graphics Cards

Hi Guy's

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I have tried searching.

When I purchased My Mac Pro, I upgraded the graphics card from the standard ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB to a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB and it was installed in the Apple store.

The need for more than 2 monitors has arisen and since they give you the ATI card back I tried installing it this afternoon in the PCI Express expansion slot 2 (I did some research first about power consumption limits and that slot 1 and 2 can deliver the most power out of the four) but I cant get either of the 20" monitors to display anything on the ATI DVI outputs?
I have checked the PCI Cards in System Profiler and it detects the card, the fan is running on the card but no output. I am being stupid and do I have to have 2 monitors connected on the NVIDIA card before the ATI card will output or something I am missing? I have tried detecting displays, but to no avail.
Any Ideas?

Jim

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.