• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Importing video from JVC to imovie

Reaction score
I am having trouble importing video from my JVC Mini DV GR-D72U to imovie. It will start importing just fine, but then it will stop just importing, could be 10 seconds into it, could be 5 minutes. I'd like to just import the whole video but it keeps stopping. The camera keeps playing though. Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Does the content play back perfectly on the camera? I'm wondering if iMovie is finding dropped frames and getting confused, or cuts between takes with gaps.

Bandwidth maybe. How is the camera hooked up and where is the imported video being written to? What computer model do yo have?

Bad cable perhaps? That can be nasty to track down.

OP
F
Reaction score
Yes, it plays back perfectly on the camera. It will stop importing at any given time, even in the middle of a shot.

It is hooked up via a fire wire to my imac g5 into iphoto 08. The cable has never been used before - brand new.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
What versions of iMovie and OS X? Have you tried iMovie HD? 6.0.3 is available here. Apple has removed 6.0.4, the version for iMovie 08 owners, but .3 should be fine.

OP
F
Reaction score
os x 10.5.6 and imovie 7.1.4 Can I download imovie HD 6.0.3 with 7.1.4 installed? I'm new to mac so please forgive my lack of mac knowledge.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.