g3 keeps ejecting the os disk

Reaction score
I have it set to boot from cd rom but a ? mark keeps coming up and a grey screen comes up and the disk ejects. The same thing happened with a ubuntu os disk and when i hold down c it still doesnt boot from disk.. I tried other key combinations comand option etc. but a lock came up and it asked me to enter a pasword. I think this is some sort of lock but i dont know the password as it is second hand (the previous owner doesnt know it either)i ve tried resetting the pram and i dont think that works either.. what can i do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air 11" (2012), Macbook Pro 15" (Early 2008), Mac Mini i5 (2012)
Was it an OS X disk or OS9?

Reaction score
The flashing ? means system folder can not be found. Your going to need the
Imac software install disc or restore disc for your Imac. Do not use a OS10 disc.
You have to install the correct firmwear update before you install Ten. Are you shure it has a working Hard Drive,it could be crashed.

OP
N
Reaction score
Was it an OS X disk or OS9?
It was os 8.5 i got it on ebay, im fairly sure it was 8.something anyways.. maybe 8.6?
The flashing ? means system folder can not be found. Your going to need the
Imac software install disc or restore disc for your Imac. Do not use a OS10 disc.
You have to install the correct firmwear update before you install Ten. Are you shure it has a working Hard Drive,it could be crashed.
It was a software restore disk for 8.5... I was working fine but then i set the pc to load off a cd rom.. Is there any way i can get it back to loading off the Hard Disk??(eg.key combinations no?) Im using a windows keyboard, i dont have a mac one (no point in buying one until im sure i have a working mac lol;D
Anyone got any ideas??thanks!;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air 11" (2012), Macbook Pro 15" (Early 2008), Mac Mini i5 (2012)
Hold down the option key on start up, it'll let you set the start up disk.

Reaction score
Not all PC keyboards work with a G3 Imac. Like Avenger2ser said try to hold down the option key and choose Hard Drive in the dialog box. Good Luck.

OP
N
Reaction score
Not all PC keyboards work with a G3 Imac. Like Avenger2ser said try to hold down the option key and choose Hard Drive in the dialog box. Good Luck.

thanks I tried that but it doesnt work the password keeps coming. I think its this firmware protection and the disk keep ejecting also:( :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
It's possible that your iMac is too new to work with OS 8.5 or 8.6. If you have an 8.5 CD, it may only be compatible with an original iMac G3/233. 8.6 should work with the five-fruit iMac 266s, 333s, and the first round of slot-loading iMacs.

Starting with the Summer 2000 models, which switched the color scheme to Indigo, Sage, Ruby, Graphite, and Snow (instead of the fruit colors), the iMacs require OS 9 and won't be able to boot from an OS 8.6 CD.

Reaction score
You have to have the Imac restore disc to remove the password. I would just take out the Hard Drive and nuke it in another computer. Put it back. The problem is you need install disc for Imac that has the right firmwear for your Imac. If you do not install the right firmwear the machine will shut down and not restart.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.