Macbook problems :(

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2.4 ghz white macbook, bought it last april and has been brilliant, absolutely love it. However, recenty i have been having some problems. The fan has been running quite loud when using some programs, and other programs have been regularly closing down for no reason, mainly itunes. Im not really sure what to do to fix this, or even if this is a proper problem, but it is starting to get a bit annoying. As much as i would like to just claim its broken and buy one of the brand new ones, i dont think this is a realistic solution;D.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody Macbook Pro 2.8GHZ 4GB, Powerbook G4, etc.
What's your RAM like? Consider upgrading. Memory is quite cheap these days.

Also, if you bought the Applecare Protection Plan, they may be able to help you out with this.

OP
M
Reaction score
2gb of ram. Its not running slow or anything, which is what confuses me. Its the fan that annoys me the most. It comes on when playing the new football manager game, any ideas if the problem is with the game or the computer. Cant work out the random quiting of programs though.

Reaction score
The fan only really gets loud when strain is being put on the processor, which depends on the application. That will happen in any case really since the Intel Graphics Accelerator is handling the graphics and not a separate graphics card/GPU. Have you been keeping up with the Software Updates for your Macbook? There may be patches to prevent iTunes from randomly closing.

OP
M
Reaction score
i think there are a few updates available. I keep up with all the big ones, just cant be bothered with some all the time, will give it a try.

With the fan problem then can i assume that i cant avoid this problem, other than buying a more powerful mac?

Reaction score
I guess you could get a more powerful Macbook but I don't think the fan problem is that big of a deal. It only really happens when a lot of graphical or CPU power is being used.

My 2.16Ghz Blackbook did the same thing with 2GB of RAM. It only really happened when I watched HD movies and stuff like that because it used up a lot more processing power. The fan should turn off after about 3-5 mins after you started watching a movie but since you're playing a game it may be a little different. How long does your fan stay on when you're playing the game?

I hear the Alumbooks are pretty stable and quiet for the most part but it depends on what people are using it for.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.