Kernel Error

Reaction score
Last night some updates were installing and were taking too long so I just restarted the computer myself. When I turned it back on I got a grey screen with a bunch of coding on it or something and over top of that a smaller grey box telling me I need to re-start my computer. Well I've tried reststarting with no results. Could someone help me figure out the problem and how to fix it?

S

satrop

Try this first!

Pop the OS X install disk back in, and boot up while pressing down the "C" key and boot from the CD. You will need to run a disk check from the utilites folder.

And as for it taking "to long" to install the upgrades, how long is "to long"?

OP
K
Reaction score
Try this first!

Pop the OS X install disk back in, and boot up while pressing down the "C" key and boot from the CD. You will need to run a disk check from the utilites folder.

And as for it taking "to long" to install the upgrades, how long is "to long"?

Thanks for your quick reply. I've tried what you suggested holding down C when I reboot and still nothing happens except the grey screen pops up. Too long was 15-30mins I really don't know why I just didn't let it finish, most likely because I was frustrated since I'd just re-installed the OS for like the millionth time since I've gotten my computer.

S

satrop

Ok. Let's get some more info, if we may? :)

What kind of iMac do you have?
How old is it/ how long have you had it?
Do you have everything backed up?

You said you've re-installed the OS X loads of times before? Why? I take it you keep having kernal errors? The fact you have had to do this many times before doesn't look good. I've had a Mac for 8years, never had a kernal panic and I've only had to install the OS twice once for Tigger and once for Leopard. And buy the sounds of things you might have to do it again. Sorry!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
Pulling the plug mid-upgrade is a most assured way of hosing up a computer!

OP
K
Reaction score
It's an iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
I've had it since the end of August
I have both of the backup CDs that came with it when I bought it.
In the past different things went wrong I'm not sure if it was kernel panics or not.

OP
K
Reaction score
Ok so I manged to get the CD to work by hitting "C" when I rebooted. It installed the first CD just fine but then restarted like always so I thought it was going to let me go ahead and install the second CD but no such luck. The grey screen just comes up even quicker then it did before.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.