• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Downloaded movie is an mp4-move to disk?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2.0, G4, powerbook mercury, G3 Power Mac
Downloaded a copyright free movie and it was downloaded as an mp4 file that opens and runs fine in quick time. I'm trying to put it on a disk for backup and i cant seen to do this with either Apple Disk Utility or whatever i have. I'll just list what i have and maybe u can help weed through all of the programs that i just acquired. I want the best of the programs. I'm getting the newest os as we speak.

OS 10.4.1
isquid
crossover
toast 6 titanium
transmission
final cut 3.o
vixy beta converter
idvd

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody Macbook Pro 2.8GHZ 4GB, Powerbook G4, etc.
Are you putting it on a DVD disk for later viewing in region-accepting home DVD players, or are you using this disk simply as a way to back it up?

If you're simply backing it up, you shouldn't have to do anything more than create a burn folder in finder and burn it.

If you're using a CD-R as a data disk, keep in mind that they typically only hold about 650MB of data, and most decent DVDrips average around 700MB.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2.0, G4, powerbook mercury, G3 Power Mac
Yeah. Thats whats stopping me, too much data. I believe i have to convert it to a ??? to fit on my DVD-r disk right? Its for making another copy for a dvd player BTW.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.