Best Blu-Ray Burner

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66GHz Quad-CoreXeon, 8GBRAM, 2.6TBHDD, NvidiaGT120|2GhzCore2Duo, 2GBRAM, 160GBHDD, Nvidia9400M
So I have an external hard drive where I store everything, but I've had issues with externals before. I'm hoping Blu-Ray can be my second back up method. I work with HD video so the measly 4.7 gig or even 8 gig you get on DVDs just won't cut it. 25 and 50 gig backing up is very appealing and I could back a great deal of my material, I probably have 2 TB of raw video right now and will have much more in the near future. This includes old projects that I'd like to preserve, Much of the raw footage is on DV and HDV tapes, which are not designed to last. I already see the degrading.

Anyway, there are only a few BD burners out there for Apple computers, so my questions are:

1. Will my PowerMac G5 1.8 ghz dual processor be able to handle this hardware? (I have CS3 master collection and other BD burning software)

2. What's best known BD burner out there? As far as I know, for Apple, they are all 3rd party manufacturers and not Sony.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Have you checked Pioneer? Videoguys Pioneer BDR-202 Blu-ray Disc burner $399.95! (that price is wrong). The BDR-202 is coming down in price, but a lot of suppliers are out of stock. This suggests runout mode, a new model on the way perhaps. Apple wanted Sony BRD's, but they're expensive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.