Is my MacBook dying?

Reaction score
Last week my macbook fan became extremely loud. Now it is still making the loud noise once every few hours but my MacBook is barely funtional. I can't watch videos, movies, youtube clips, ect. 2 times my computer has completely powered off while trying to watch a movie. It's to the point where it's having trouble playing songs in iTunes. Web browsing works fine as long as nothing else is running. Does anyone know what's going on?

Specs:
2GHz Intel Core Duo Processor
2GB RAM
Leopard

Reaction score
It's probably overheating (either the CPU or GPU). What do you have your MB sitting on? Make sure to allow sufficient air flow.

OP
MacBoi
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your response. How do i change the MB setting?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" mid 2010, 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD
He's refering to where you have your MB=MacBook placed when using it. Best is to use a laptop stand to ensure sufficient airflow. Your problem could very well be caused by dust being stuck on the heatsink & fan inside your MacBook.

OP
MacBoi
Reaction score
of course, i hate my dyslexia..

but i think that may be my problem. i usually have my macbook on my lap or on my couch and bed. is there a way for me to clean out the dust or do i have to send it to apple to do this? thanks for the replies.

Reaction score
Don't put your MB on your bed. The bedding is soft and will block air flow. It's best to place your MB on a hard surface, like a desk or a table.

Check around the vents and clean any dirt or lint you see with a vacuum cleaner. If you need to clean the lint/dust inside, like around the CPU, then you'll have to take it apart. Sorry I can't help you with that.

OP
MacBoi
Reaction score
Do i Need a New Fan?

my macbook fan makes this noise x5..

YouTube - Macbook fan problem

i can't watch a movie without it overheating and powering down. do i need a new fan or is there a way to fix my existing fan? thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 1GB RAM 80 GB Combo Drive
Is it safe to use a program that will manipulate fan speeds?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
my macbook fan makes this noise x5..

YouTube - Macbook fan problem

i can't watch a movie without it overheating and powering down. do i need a new fan or is there a way to fix my existing fan? thanks for any help.

Sounds like the fan is either clogged or going out. With the locations you've been using it, could be a thread wrapped around the shaft of the fan. Definitely, do not use a fan control program with this fan.

For everyone: The airflow on Mac notebooks is located at the hinge. Using your MB or MBP on your lap, carpet, the bed, etc.; you are blocking the air flow of your machine and you are asking for overheating problems. Have to use it on your bed and can't afford a laptop stand, put a book under it to maintain clearance for air circulation.

In this particular instance I'd recommend looking on ifixit for directions on removing the bottom cover and checking the fan. It's possible with some cleaning it will be all right. Worse case, you'll need to replace the fan.

If you're not comfortable doing this, take it in to have it done. If it were my machine, I wouldn't turn the thing on until that fan was taken care of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium MacBook | iPod Touch
^ Wow. Thats a good amount of detail. Just the necessary stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16
Many people do, but I still wouldn't recommend it.

Hmm. Could you please discuss why you wouldn't recommend it? I find my smcFancontrol tool to be an integral part of everyday computing.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hmm. Could you please discuss why you wouldn't recommend it? I find my smcFancontrol tool to be an integral part of everyday computing.

Because the fans are thermostatically controlled and there is logic built into the OS to kick them on at certain speeds and at certain thresholds. If the built-in management isn't working properly, there's a hardware problem (be it dust clogging vents or bearing wear inside the fan).

So, forcing the fans at a static speed with a program like that essentially second-guesses the engineers that designed your equipment. If the machine isn't working within tolerances, this does nothing to ultimately correct that, it just masks it. And if you're using it just because you like to have the control, you're probably adding additional wear to the fans that wouldn't really be necessary without it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The fans are designed to come on when needed.
They run at the RPM they were intended to run at, for the period of time that is necessary until the temperature is reduced to the hardware's acceptable level.
If the hardware's heat is elevated past its peak for safe, reliable operation the computer will shut down as a failsafe.
There is no need to override this.

Any time that you override it, you open the up the possibility (even if only slight) that more problems could occur. Just like when people overclock processors or GPU chips... it might work fine for a long time that way... but you could put that hardware at risk by doing so.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The fans are designed to come on when needed.
They run at the RPM they were intended to run at, for the period of time that is necessary until the temperature is reduced to the hardware's acceptable level.
If the hardware's heat is elevated past its peak for safe, reliable operation the computer will shut down as a failsafe.
There is no need to override this.

Any time that you override it, you open the up the possibility (even if only slight) that more problems could occur. Just like when people overclock processors or GPU chips... it might work fine for a long time that way... but you could put that hardware at risk by doing so.

Great minds think alike ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16
Thank you D3v1L80Y and cwa107.
I, however, respectfully disagree. I think equating overclocking a cpu or gpu is an entirely different issue than increasing the baseline fan rpm. Overclocking is potentially very dangerous (obviously, i don't need to tell you) as it can lead to overheating and other problems whereas increasing the fan rpm has only increased wear as a potential problem. I guess I am second guessing the apple engineers but its really a difference of opinion on how we balance noise and heat. I am more than happy to live with a little more fan noise to keep my system cooler. Additionally, I bet that if fan control was truly damaging that it would void the warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Additionally, I bet that if fan control was truly damaging that it would void the warranty.
It can and would.
Technically, SMCFan and the like should void the warranty, because it alters the firmware of any machine.
OS X ToS said:
2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.

Apple Boot ROM code and firmware is provided only for use on Apple-labeled hardware and you may not copy, modify or redistribute the Apple Boot ROM code or firmware, or any portions thereof.

You expressly acknowledge that if failure or damage to Apple hardware results from modification of the Apple Software, such failure or damage is excluded from the terms of the Apple hardware warranty.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you D3v1L80Y and cwa107.
I, however, respectfully disagree. I think equating overclocking a cpu or gpu is an entirely different issue than increasing the baseline fan rpm. Overclocking is potentially very dangerous (obviously, i don't need to tell you) as it can lead to overheating and other problems whereas increasing the fan rpm has only increased wear as a potential problem. I guess I am second guessing the apple engineers but its really a difference of opinion on how we balance noise and heat. I am more than happy to live with a little more fan noise to keep my system cooler. Additionally, I bet that if fan control was truly damaging that it would void the warranty.

It doesn't void the warranty because it doesn't do any damage. It will very likely contribute to shorter service life, however. It's akin to constantly doing deep drains on the battery before recharging. The battery will likely not last as long as one that has only been partially drained or is kept fully charged.

But if you're like many MacBook Pro owners, you probably find the machine to run uncomfortably warm. I haven't had that problem with either my 1st generation machine or my 4th. But I still wouldn't recommend running the fans at full speed constantly over using a notebook cooling pad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.