• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Help with imovie

Reaction score
First let me say I am completely MAC challenged, so please don't laugh at my questions.:D I am trying to decide the best course of action under the following circumstances. I own an iBook G4 (1.33 GHz Power PC G4) 512 MB Built-in. I have no idea what that means, but I'm sure it's relevant. I also have a JVC Everio HD camcorder with USB 2.0. The version of imovie that came with our computer is imovie HD 5. I have discovered that this version does not support USB, but that imovie 8 does. However, I'm wondering if our computer will support imovie 8 before I purchase it. If not, is there a way to update our computer so that it will support the imovie 8 software. Thank you!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
No, iMovie 08 and now 09 does not run on that machine. From the Apple requirements page;
iMovie requires an Intel-based Mac, Power Mac G5 (dual 2.0GHz or faster), or iMac G5 (1.9GHz or faster).

If the Mac can see the camera as a hard drive with its contents, you might look into avc1Decoder or VoltaicHD.

If you search that camera here, you might find mention of how others have dealt with it.

P.S. Next time please use a better subject line.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody Macbook Pro 2.8GHZ 4GB, Powerbook G4, etc.
As far as I know, the Everio HD will show up as a hard drive, anyway.

If you want to import your video straight from the device, I would suggest using the DV - Firewire cable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.