mac photoshop jpegs wont open properly on pc

Reaction score
Am in desperate need of help here ive just spent about 4 months producing a new portfolio on a g4 imac I was givin and its great until I try to send the images to people with pc (which is most peaople). The jpegs will open but there is a grey strip missing from the bottom of the image and its really annoying.
+Plus the colours are nothing like the colours I spent hours upon hours getting exactly right on the mac so what can I do????
cheers!

Rich

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air 11" (2012), Macbook Pro 15" (Early 2008), Mac Mini i5 (2012)
Change your color profile to RGB when exporting to jpeg. Should help

OP
P
Reaction score
If thats the check bot at the bottom of the save as pop up that says "embed color profile: srgb iec61966-2.1" then its already checked???
or are you talking about something else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
an easy way to make sure a photoshop jpeg will work on a PC is to use the Save for web command, that makes it RGB and gives you more control over the compression and file size

File > Save for web

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air 11" (2012), Macbook Pro 15" (Early 2008), Mac Mini i5 (2012)
I just looked in cs4, I see where it only has RGB checked... ran into a similar problem in illustrator a few months ago but it was set to CKMY... try the save for web feature luishen suggested.

The only other thing I can think of is to save as a pdf. That should carry over all the color info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerPC G5 (4x2.5GHz)
hey Rich,
I'm a photographer, and i have saved a print image for screen use in hurry - and the colours were mad weird when its gone online, we've all done it at some point. Thats the cmyk setting for you, RGB is what the screens like best :) To check, open one of the images, goto image/mode is the tick next to RGB?
When you say "there's a grey strip at the bottom missing" do you mean you added that to a photo - but its not there now? if you do, did you do it in a separate layer - and did you "flatten all layers" before you saved the image as a jpg? if not - that might be where it disappeared, depending on which layers were active when hit save.

OP
P
Reaction score
hey guys cheers for your response ive im now able to open the images on my pc tho only sending them via email and not usb?? the grey strip (which only appeared when transfered from mac to pc) has gone too BUT..

having the images next to each other, i mean having the same images next to each other, one on the pc screen and the other on the macg4 screen the colours are the same tho just way darker on the pc. the only way to discribe it is the image on the pc is just dull and not too far away from looking black and white!(maybe an exageration..) but its a serious problem tho cos i prefere using photoshop on the g4 but if im always going to have this problem then whats the point of having a mac because im a trainee web designer and if i creatred web sites on the mac most people would be viewing them on a pc and so the graphic design would look very poor....so im thinking of getting rid of the mac because i really cant see any use for it!! maybe if i was a graphic designer purely but apart from that they look cool and photoshop works a little bit better but its kind of a faulse economy becuase the images ive just spend 6 months doing are only a true representation of the original image on macs or i guess if u were printing them out. very disappointing and im gutted cos i loved the mac but its just not practical at all for most jobs. why dont apple make it more compatable with pc????!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
it's not a problem of operating system, it't just seperate screens :) and I also think Mac screens tend to be much brighter and clearer (is that a word? :D )

the only way to ensure colors will be the same no matter where you post it, is if you were to save the image in web-safe colors

it's similar to what was stated above with printing, the image never looks the same right off the print as you saw it on screen unless you were very careful

Edit:
you could always try a different file format, jpeg is very compressed even at the highest settings, it is definitely lossless but that would depend on what you're working with etc

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.