• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

G5 Speed Boosts

R

richiestang78

Has anyone heard if the G5 line will be getting a speed bost any time soon? I want to get one but can wait a few months if a new line will be out, like the PBs got.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
No idea. It seems like 2.5 is getting close to as fast as they can go. It's hard enough to get the dual 2.5 PowerMacs as it is. I doubt they'll introduce a new model now. If AMD can't hardly get past 2.4, it would suprise me if IBM could at this stage.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Echo_ said:
amd is more interested in clock efficiency than clock speed

As are IBM, that's why none of the top ten supercomputer clusters use AMD chips and 5 of them use IBM chips.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
..Yeah. I was gonna say, Pentium is concerned the most with clock speed, AMD second, and IBM third.

Reaction score
Amen-Moses said:
As are IBM, that's why none of the top ten supercomputer clusters use AMD chips and 5 of them use IBM chips.

Amen-Moses
This has more to do with the fact that AMD is new to the server market than anything else. The Opteron was their first push into this area of computing, where as IBM has been esablished here since the begining of time.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Avid6eek said:
This has more to do with the fact that AMD is new to the server market than anything else. The Opteron was their first push into this area of computing, where as IBM has been esablished here since the begining of time.

I will await the new listings in June, I know of at least 2 new IBM clusters and one Apple powered one so it will be interesting to see if AMD make an entry in the top ten. So far Intel have one entry at number 9 and no plans that I've seen for any new Intel powered clusters. If anyone can make a dent it will be AMD as the Opteron has the capabilities, it all depends on the scaleability.

What is really, really scary is that early next year a single box solution using Cell processors could start to compete with the current top 20 clusters, that is just plain awesome!

(i.e by that I mean that just a few hundes Cell processors could in theory hit the 10,000 Gflop mark and you could put them in a single 19 Inch tower rack)

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.