Painfully annoying network connection issues . . .

Reaction score
First, let me preface that I consider myself a pretty advanced computer user. I have been using PCs my entire life and have slowly weaned to Apple and loving it so far. But, with my recent purchase of a new Mac Pro, I'm really really frustrated with a certain issue with my network connections.

Previous to purchasing my Mac Pro I never had a single problem with my desktop PC, always running and fast internet, never disconnecting, worked without a hitch. Now with the Mac Pro, it seems to be disconnecting at random times, many times only being fixed after a reboot.

I can't quite put my finger on it. I connect from the router via ethernet, DHCP with auto settings and it picks it up fine. Many times throughout the day it will simply stop working. Adium (chat client) will stop working, Google Notifier will time out, and Safari or FF3 will simply no longer connect. The weird part is that a lot of times, Google will still do searches, other sites will work, but anything that is HTTPS will not connect. Soon after, nothing will connect.

To remedy my problem, many times I will load the network settings, turn off my connection and reconnect. Sometimes this fixes it, but only the internet will start working (no other apps that require a connection will work, ie: chat, google, ftp, etc). After a reboot, the internet will work, but many times the other apps STILL will not connect.

As you can understand this is quite frustrating. Then the problem is exacerbated that now my Macbook (been using for 1.5 years now, 10.4.8) will stop working as well. Might not be the same issues, but this has been long revolving on my Macbook, using either OSX or Bootcamp with XP, the wireless adapter simply will not connect and wont work. It's quite annoying.

Any help will be much appreciated!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
What kind of router are you using and is the firmware up to date?

OP
S
Reaction score
Router is a netlink, has been flawless so far. Firmware should be up to date. I thought about replacing the router with a Airport Extreme, but wasn't sure if it would really fix the problem, since everything was all fine and dandy before I got the Mac Pro.

Maybe that's the next step . . .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.