• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Rewards from Apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
aluminum MacBook: 2.4GHZ Core 2 Duo, 3GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDEA GeForce 9400M, 250 GB HDD (32GB for Vista)
After buying a new 16GB iPod Touch a few days ago, I realized that I've spent close to $3000 on Apple in the last year. (2.4GHZ aluminum MacBook-November with case and extra software, 3 iPod Nanos for the family earlier last year, about $400 on iTunes, and a new 16GB iPod Touch a few days ago.) I'd really like to get iLife '09 for my month-and-a-half-old MacBook but I don't have the money to buy that right now, so I thought I'd go onto Apple's online chat support to find out if there are any discounts or rewards I may be missing. I've done PLENTY of researching on Apple.com in the last 6 months and haven't seen anything, but who knows, maybe there's something I don't know about. I went on the online support 3 times in the last 2 days to see about it (just in case one of the people didn't know about something), and each (different) person said I don't apply for anything. One of the people even said that Apple has no rewards or anything set up. I love the products Apple makes, but I feel really confused considering that if this were HP or Dell, I would have already received $500-$800 in rewards, extra offers/discounts, and/or higher customer service/warrantee. Did I just get 3 people from Apple that didn't know about this topic, or does Apple really not have ANY rewards at all maybe just because they know that millions of people will buy their products regardless and they want all the money they can get (even if that means cheating their customers in some cases just because of their superiority)? Am I missing something? What do YOU think about this topic?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
I remeber watching a Chris Pirillo episode - where he buys the Mac Pro - and he said he joined the Apple Developer Connection which gave him a one of discount. Cost $500 to join ADC, and he got $1000 (IRC) on his new Mac Pro.

If you search on YouTube you'll see the one I'm on about.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I don't see that happening any time soon. The only thing I ever got back from Apple that I consider a reward is a machine that works, and 300 dollars back from a rebate + a HP printer that cost me 1 cent.

Then there is the really super lucky people that have tons of problems with their Mac Machines and get a brand spanking new late 2008 early 2009 Aluminum MacBook/Pro.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
aluminum MacBook: 2.4GHZ Core 2 Duo, 3GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDEA GeForce 9400M, 250 GB HDD (32GB for Vista)
martyp, yeah, I did see that one a few months ago. Interesting that they do that, but obviously not worth it if I'm just trying to get a discount on iLife or any accessories and I already own the computer, right? I really don't understand Apple's tech support. To some, they appear as the best. Yet to others, they just make the customer feel dumb just because Apple is a more superior company. I REALLY like Apple and their products, but I think we can all agree that they really need to create some kind of rewards or discount program for their customers. Every other large computer company does it, so why not Apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Every other computer company does? Don't think so.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Since "you" have spent close to $3000 on Apple products in the past year, am going to "assume" you have entered the work force.

Let's see ... $500 of $3000 = 16+%.

When's the last time you worked 26 hours for free as a "reward" for your employer paying you for the previous 160 hours? I think .... never!

I think we can all agree that they really need to create some kind of rewards or discount program for their customers.

No. I for one, do not agree.

I charge a fair and competitive price for the work and services I provide.
I expect to be paid for "everything" that I do related to my occupation.
I don't have an extra 20% built into my charges so that I can make people "feel good" by giving them something for free after I've "ripped them off" by overcharging previously. That's the only way a company can give rewards of 15% and more is to "rip them off" up front.

I spend my money the same way. Am willing to pay what I believe is a fair price for the things I want. I don't "expect" them to give me something for free because I "chose" to spend some of my money on one or more of their products.

I have bought products from a variety of large manufacturers. A lot of them produce many more products than I or any other average wage earner could possibly afford to purchase. I still don't think they "owe me" because I bought something from them. I received what it was that I purchased. And it was either a good purchase, or it wasn't. I continue to do business with that company, or next time, I purchase from a different company.

What do YOU think about this topic?

Quite honestly, I'm sick and tired of seeing all the posts of those that think they should get something for nothing. Yes, I said nothing. You've received what you paid for previously and must have thought it was a fair price or you would have spent it somewhere else. If you want the newest thing, pay for it. If it's not worth the price they're asking, then don't buy it. Every time Apple comes out with a new product there are half a dozen posts of someone wanting it for free because they bought some other product. I've never seen such a thing related to any other company and I'm tired of seeing it.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The point I'm trying to get to is that most other large computer companies offer rewards for spending a certain amount on their products. When you spend the same amount on an HP, Dell, Fujitsu, ect., I know (from experience) that they offer certain rewards. And the fact that Apple has no rewards just makes me (along with others) think that Apple should at least offer some kind of rewards program for their higher customers. Should a company that has spent $50k on Apple products have to spend as much money on an inexpensive program or accessory as a person who has never spent a penny on any Apple product before? I don't think so. And bobtomay, to compare working and buying is a whole different thing. I don't understand why you wouldn't WANT Apple to offer some kind of discount/rewards program to save money when you buy a certain amount (unless MAYBE you worked for Apple). Other companies who aren't as successful as Apple find room to do it, so why can't Apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
So don't buy from them. Pretty simple. I see no reason why anyone should offer "rewards". If you really must get them use an AMEX for your purchases or something.

BTW companies buy with corporate contracts, not MSRP. I guarantee the terms are different than what you see at the Apple store.. then again, the prices I see at the Apple store are lower than what most would pay anyway. I'm guessing from these comments regarding corporate purchasing that you're completely inexperienced in the procurement process

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As I said before, I just think it would be nice if Apple had some kind of rewards program for their higher customers who buy more products. You don't have to be Nancy Negative and give a bunch of reasons why Apple shouldn't have a rewards program. It would just be nice if they DID offer some kind of rewards for consumers who buy a lot of their products. THAT'S ALL I SAID.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Because the prices must be raised for every consumer to pay for the "rewards" that only a small percentage will ever take advantage of. No, I would rather pay a fair price for each and every product purchased. I have no desire to pay an inflated price, so that I can "feel good" when/if I get a "reward" or to pay for someone else's "reward".

Corporate purchases are totally irrelevant to this discussion. No point in changing your original proposal now.

No ... I still do not agree.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Seriously?......seriously? No really, seriously? I just said that it would be nice if Apple just stayed the same and added a rewards program like a number of other computer companies do for their higher customers. And yet you go on and on by saying no. Seriously? If prices didn't change, you wouldn't be happy if Apple gave you rewards? Seriously? Fine, be hard-headed. I could care less. Done.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Seriously?.....Are you not aware that companies that offer "rewards" programs must maintain a higher price point than they would need to without that "reward" program?

You should take advantage of any companies reward program with whom you do business that offers one, because you are paying for it, whether you know it or not.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
tjbackstage said:
What do YOU think about this topic?

Seriously?......seriously? No really, seriously? I just said that it would be nice if Apple just stayed the same and added a rewards program like a number of other computer companies do for their higher customers. And yet you go on and on by saying no. Seriously? If prices didn't change, you wouldn't be happy if Apple gave you rewards? Seriously? Fine, be hard-headed. I could care less. Done.

You asked for opinions. You are now getting them. Just because they happen to be contrary to your own doesn't mean that they are any less valid. I don't understand what the problem is... Not everyone thinks like you do.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just think that there's no reason why any Apple customer wouldn't want any rewards. That's all. Done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You clearly haven't been reading if you can't see any reasons as to why apple wouldn't offer a reward program. I suggest going back and reading bob's posts again. Hopefully you'll pick up the number one reason as to why Apple shouldn't have a rewards program.

Also, I really hate this sense of entitlement people have. Who cares if you spent more money than anybody else, that doesn't make you special unless you're a corporate customer that makes purchases in the millions. So you spent $3000, congratulations. I spent over $6000 in 2007, you don't see me asking for a handout.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Apple doesn't offer rewards programs or freebies for the same reason they don't carry any branded merchandise in Apple Stores: They're trying not to cheapen the brand.

To get a Mac in the Apple Store, you pay the sticker price. Doesn't matter how much money you're spending, whether it's a Mac Pro with 16 gigs of RAM costing thousands of dollars - there's no apologetic looks, no mousepad freebie or AppleCare thrown in because you're dropping that amount of money on a computer - that's just what it costs and the customer is to believe that it's worth every penny.

That's the impression Apple wants to create and offering rewards and discounts just "cheapens" the experience.

HP & Dell are competing with hundreds of other generic PC manufacturers. Apple doesn't see (or position) itself as part of that game and the lack of rewards is part of that.

A good analogy is eating out: If you're in a cheapish diner, you don't mind asking the waiter to swap the vegetables for more fries, or whether you can get this main course with that side dish. But if you're in a fancy-pants 5-star restaurant, you eat the exquisite cuisine the chef has prepared exactly as it's on the menu.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.