Napster Gunning for iTunes...

J

jbsengineer

Enlight of the super bowl commercial for Napster. And i know that we here are biased... I want to ask 1 simple question.

Would you rather pay for a subscription every month or own the music by buying it?

I would like to own it. Paying for a subscription and having all the music I want is nice. But what happens when Napster fails. You lose your songs/investment.

What does everyone think?????

Josh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
So, correct me if i'm wrong, with napster you have to pay a monthly subscription by which you can download as many songs as you like, but if you want to keep the song and transfer it to an mp3 player you have to buy that song on top of paying your monthly subscription. Is that how napster works? I've never really looke dinto it.

OP
J

jbsengineer

johnnyluu said:
So, correct me if i'm wrong, with napster you have to pay a monthly subscription by which you can download as many songs as you like, but if you want to keep the song and transfer it to an mp3 player you have to buy that song on top of paying your monthly subscription. Is that how napster works? I've never really looke dinto it.

Not exactly. With the "napster to go" program. You pay $15 every month and you can download as many songs as you want onto your computer. If you have a "napster to go" compatible device you can sync with your computer and listen to it as well. I dont think you can even buy songs from them anymore. So anyway, when you stop paying the $15 dollars a month. That's it...the songs wont play anymore and you dont own them so you have nothing to show....

Josh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
no, itunes all the way. napster is like windows , a bug that needs to be squashed,
itunes will do any squashing. people, not even windows users will take BS like that.

OP
J

Jason

Ok so Napster is like Rhapsody now.... who cares? lol :D Besides, anyone can borrow cds and rip copies onto their MP3 players.

OP
J

jbsengineer

napster's ad campaign is very misleading. i've talked to several people in the office and they had no idea that if you stop paying...bye bye to all your music.

Josh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen
Napster will fail like MSN Music... :bone:

Reaction score
Some people might like that, I barely spend on average $15 a month at iTunes, so I don't think I would consider it.

OP
I

iPodMiniLover

Yes, the commertial was VERY misleading. I had no clue that you would lose your music if you stopped paying, until I read this thread.

OP
J

jbsengineer

In all honesty. I think it would be cool................For about a month. Just to have a endless supply of music. But paying for it every month...renting it.... nope....stupid....

Josh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i think its pretty dumb and will never take off for more than a few months....

i also read somewhere that if you dont sync your player after x ammount of time your songs will expire and no long play.....i could be wrong on this one

-chris

OP
J

jbsengineer

coach_z said:
i think its pretty dumb and will never take off for more than a few months....

i also read somewhere that if you dont sync your player after x ammount of time your songs will expire and no long play.....i could be wrong on this one

-chris

that makes perfect sense. i was wondering how they would control that. i mean if i were to fill one up. i could simply cancel service and have a gazillion songs for $15. so there has to be some kind of timer. Which if absuletly STUPID. where's the portability with that? on a vacation away from your computer and the **** thing wont play music any more cause you didn't "check in" with napster. ughh...urks me... glad they wasted $30 million....

Josh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
very small print on the bottom of http://www.napster.com/ntg.html

*It is necessary to maintain a Napster subscription in order to continue access to songs downloaded through the Napster service.

this program is a crock of s.

-chris

OP
W

Wapa18

plus, all the companies competing against itunes make it sound like you can only play music downloaded from the service on all the players. they very conveniently leave out the fact that you can put music from your own cd collection on the ipod and other mp3 players. so for me, it doesn't cost me $10,000 to fill my ipod, it costs as much as my cd's cost.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i found it, if you dont hook it up to your computer at the begining of every month aparently all your songs do stop working
In addition, if you register for the "Napster To Go" tier, you will be able to transfer your Downloads an unlimited amount of times to up to a maximum of three (3) such compatible portable devices for as long as your "Napster To Go" membership is current. For royalty accounting and analysis purposes, Napster will track the Downloads that you so transfer and the number of times that you play Downloads on such devices. Napster also automatically renews your rights to any Downloads stored on your portable devices at the beginning of each Subscription Month. Thus, in order to continue to play such Downloads on that portable device, you will need to dock your portable device (i.e., connect to the PC) and log onto Napster at the beginning of each Subscription Month.

also, isnt that whole ipod thing kind of slanderous? (sorry for spelling)

they are also offering 5 gig players for almost 300 dollars......and a 20 gig ipod is just shy of 300....hmmmm

OP
J

jbsengineer

haha... people really should know this before purchasing a year's subscription. i mean come on. little to much big brother on your portable mp3 player. are they tracking you by gps as well so they know where you are when your playing 5 songs in a row of grateful dead??!?!?

Josh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I know I am gonna be happier with iTunes and iPod :alien:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.