Upgrading the RAM on the Macbook Pro (Screwdriver tip)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro (Early 2008) 2.5Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, NVidia 8600 GT 512 MB Video RAM, 250 GB HDD
This is a tip and not a question. I had a hard time replacing the RAM on my Macbook Pro because I didn't have the right screwdriver.

The right screwdriver to get the screws off a Macbook pro is Philips Head #00.

I bought a set from Frys (the small metallic type) but the screws were too tight. It appears that the Macs have some gum under their screws (locktite).

The Apple Genius Bar guys wouldn't help me get the screws loose.

I finally went to Radioshack and got a set of "Kronus 20 piece electronics bit driver set" for $17. And it worked like a charm. It didn't take ANY effort to get the screws off.

Just wanted to post this here in case someone else needed the same info.

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
Make sure you buy go ones too. Cheap screwdrivers end in screwed screws which means you are screwed when you want to upgrade or sell it on.

Reaction score
Is this for the new MBP or model before the new one?

I have an August model MBP and I didn't have any trouble getting the screws loose when I upgraded.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro (Early 2008) 2.5Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, NVidia 8600 GT 512 MB Video RAM, 250 GB HDD
This is for an Early 2008 Macbook pro. The difficulty getting the screws off depends on the:
* Amount of Locktite under the screws (1 screw came off easy, the other 2 were really difficult to get off)
* Quality of the screwdriver. I had a metal screwdriver with the right head (Philips Head #00) that came in a $2 kit from Frys but it was useless. With the good set I got from Radioshack, the screws came off with no effort at all.

Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks for the most welcome tip, jjaspirant. I followed your advice, bought the set at radioshack, and everything went smoothly. The dumb little screwdriver I had at home was just wrong enough to thwart my first attempt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
If it had locktite under the screws my guess is that it happened after it left the factory. Cannot see all the assembly line equipped with tubes of Locktite - or perhaps it is a cost saving measure - no PQC, just Locktite ;D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The assembly process does not use locktite - as Colin points out that would take too much time and effort. What is normally used is a power driver to put the screws in. Putting screws in anything with a power driver depends on how much power is applied. Ever try to remove the lug nuts from your tire wheels after they have been put on by a power tool? That's why I carry a 3 foot collapsable break bar in the trunk of my car. :D

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.