Web Sharing Remote Access Problem

Reaction score
I am trying to access my Apache server on my new iMac via the Internet, but each time I do I get a screen requiring an ID and password. My administrator id and password do not work. I had it working without a a sign-on in an earlier version of OS X (10.3 or 10.4) on an iMac G6, but at some point even on that machine it began to present the sign-on box. I use an IP redirection service, but I get the same results whether I use the redirection server or use the Internet IP address directly. The server works fine when I use the local network IP address from another Mac or a PC on my local network. It must be a firewall or a router problem, but I can't find any place to set or disable a password for external access. I can't find anything via a Google search that speaks to this issue.

The server computer is set up with a fixed local IP address, and the port mapping in my Airport router is set to point TCP port 80 to the IP address of the server computer.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.