• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Any application.....mkv -> Divxavi WITH 5.1 support for xbox360

Reaction score
I know I just had a post written about my problem with ffmpeg but I realize that it has to do with my audio. Most if not all are ac3 as we all know. I have tried ffmepgx, mencoder, visualhub and handbrake. Only success I have had is with ffmpegx and its not 100%. I either have no sound or choppy sound, or just wont play on the 360. Oh and sometimes video is too fast.

Anyways my question is there any app out there with ac3 5.1 support that I have not tried? I have been using my pc for doing this sort of job and its just too slow now. This wouldnt be a problem anymore because 2channel encoding is fine but I cannot wrap my head around the idea that I have a hdtv and surround sound yet I would have to watch with Stereo:\

here is a mediainfo file of when I used DivxAvi (ffmpeg) The audio is only 12mins when should be like 54mins. Tried on my xbox and picture if fine but audio is ****ed of course. I dunno whats going on. Anyone have a clue?

General / Container Stream # 1
Total Video Streams for this File -> 1
Total Audio Streams for this File -> 1
Video Codecs Used -> DivX 4
Audio Codecs Used -> AC3
File Format -> AVI
Play Time -> 53mn 18s
Total File Size -> 4.32 GiB
Total Stream BitRate -> 11.6 Mbps
Video Stream # 1
Codec (Human Name) -> MPEG-4 Visual
Codec (FourCC) -> DIVX
Codec Profile -> Simple@L1
Frame Width -> 1 920 pixels
Frame Height -> 1 080 pixels
Frame Rate -> 23.976 fps
Total Frames -> 76699
Display Aspect Ratio -> 16/9
Scan Type -> Progressive
Colorimetry -> 4:2:0
Codec Settings (Packet BitStream) -> No
QF (like Gordian Knot) -> 0.221
Codec Settings (BVOP) -> No
Codec Settings (QPel) -> No
Codec Settings (GMC) -> No warppoints
Codec Settings (Matrix) -> Default
Video Stream Length -> 53mn 18s 990ms
Video Stream BitRate -> 11.0 Mbps
Bit Depth -> 24 bits
Video Stream Size -> 4.09 GiB (95%)
Video Encoder -> Lavc51.9.0
Audio Stream # 1
Codec -> AC-3
Codec (FourCC) -> 2000
Audio Stream Length -> 12mn 17s 856ms
Audio Stream BitRate -> 640 Kbps
Audio Stream BitRate Mode -> CBR
Number of Audio Channels -> 6
Audio Channel's Positions -> Front: L C R, Rear: L R, LFE
Sampling Rate -> 48.0 KHz
Bit Depth -> 16 bits
Audio Stream Size -> 234 MiB (5%)

Reaction score
I too would like to know this. I am using Handbrake but no matter how I encode the MKV file the result only has stereo sound. Is there a professional solution?

OP
B
Reaction score
I haven't gotten much help on this topic but I have tried a few things. MKVTools will convert to avi with ac3 passthrough. It shows 2 channel on my receiver however apparently its 5.1 being decoded by Dolby Logic. It also can do mp4 with 2 channel.

ffmpeg just doesn't want to play well with ac3 in 5.1 so I gave up in the department. At the moment I am still using my pc with encode 360 to convert wmvhd with 5.1wma pro. You can do that with quicktime and flip4mac however its soooo long to convert. Im talking like 2 days. I would say mkvtool is your best bet until one of us finds the perfect program.

Since the xbox is M$, wmvhd with wma9 Pro 5.1, works amazing and seamlessly, so if there was a faster way to do it than quicktime on a mac, Im down!

Ps. I wish there was a way to deal with converting DTS from a mkv file but its as difficult as the detroit lions making playoffs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.