Word 2008 trouble opening old documents

Reaction score
Just updated to a MacBook Air from a Powerbook G4, and thought that while I was at it I may as well update Word from 2001 (10) to 2008 (12.1). Some of the files I created on the old Word aren't opening on the new one; I'm aware of the double-click problem, but these won't open using the "Open ..." button either. All of the documents were created with the same Word version, and there is absolutely no pattern to which files will open and which won't--some files created within 30 minutes of each other fall into opposite camps. The ones that won't open appear on my new computer with the blue "W" icon, and the ones that will open appear with "DOC" on the icon. Sometimes this changes--right now, it doesn't appear that I can open ANY of them.

Since I couldn't use Migration Assistant on my old computer, I transferred my files by USB flash drive. I emailed a couple of the files to myself and they magically appeared as "DOC"s and opened just fine, but I can't spend weeks of my life emailing Word documents to myself.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
do they all have the .doc extension

Can Text Edit open any of the dud word files?

OP
R
Reaction score
All have the .doc extension. Text Edit can't open any of the duds, but it can open the same files Word can open.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.