Can I run Bootcamp with the same install of XP I used for Parallels?

Reaction score
Here's the deal. I bought a new MBP that already had parallels running Windows XP. I was wondering if I can set up Boot Camp to run off of that same install. I don't have the XP disc, as it was already on my computer when I bought it. Is it still possible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
While Parallels does have the option of using a Boot Camp install, the way you're setup is the reverse of what needs to be done to accomplish this.

Did you get the XP disc when you bought the computer? If so, then what you need to do is wipe XP from Parallels, install XP via Boot Camp, and then point Parallels to the Boot Camp partition when setting up a new virtual machine.

OP
The Big Kahuna
Reaction score
Unfortunately I didn't get the XP disc. So there's no way to set Boot Camp up with my current setup?

Reaction score
No. BootCamp requires a full install version of Windows to be installed on the disk partition that it creates. Parallels and Fusion install Windows within a 'soft' disk/virtual machine. You can use a Boot Camp partition's Windows to create a VM in either Fusion or Parallels, but you can't do the opposite. Sorry.

OP
The Big Kahuna
Reaction score
Bummer. Don't suppose there is any other method of obtaining the necessary software for a Boot Camp install, short of dropping 200 bucks for something I already own?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No, there's not. But, you should be able to still find an OEM copy of XP for about $100 rather than the retail version for $200. Not sure if newegg will sell it without the purchase of other hardware or not.

You don't really own a copy of it already. At least not for that computer. The copy of XP that's on your computer was kept by the person that sold it to you so that they could install it on their next computer. Haven't heard of it happening often, but once they install it and start updating it, you may at some point find yours doesn't function after a MS genuine advantage check.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yeah, it does. That's why you should always get the disks with any installed software when purchasing used. Not to mention, you're just up the creek if you ever need to re-install and don't have them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.